Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ccleaner?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:18 AM

Hello Everyone.

I would like some expert advice,regarding Ccleaner.

The registry cleaner:is it completly safe to use,or should you not use registry cleaners at all :inlove:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:20 AM

I wouldn't use the registry cleaner, but the cleaner portion works...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:27 AM

[Removed my comment]

Edited by RolandJS, 14 October 2016 - 03:56 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:57 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 isaccasi

isaccasi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:23 AM

Many Thanks all of you:i have a 2 year subscribtion with Iolos system mechanic in my mail,i think i will leave it there. :bowdown:

#6 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:52 AM

I'd just like to come in here if ok.........

I'm in the process of upgrading my laptop to a better model and will be selling this one on pretty soon. Because of this, I'd like to wipe the drive. I've been looking at using DBAN, but I'm pretty confused and scared of using the BIOS system to do so which seems to be required when using this program.

Question is,

Is the disc wiper facility on CCleaner a viable option? I want to do a 3-wipe pass for peace of mind that the HD is well-overwritten before passing on my pc to any prospective second-hand buyer. The 7X wipe and Gutmann seem a little excessive and can, from what I have read, burn out a hard drive sometimes. 

So yeah, what is the opinion on CCleaner driver wiper, please?

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 03:50 PM

I'm in the process of upgrading my laptop to a better model and will be selling this one on pretty soon. Because of this, I'd like to wipe the drive. I've been looking at using DBAN, but I'm pretty confused and scared of using the BIOS system to do so which seems to be required when using this program.

Question is,

Is the disc wiper facility on CCleaner a viable option? I want to do a 3-wipe pass for peace of mind that the HD is well-overwritten before passing on my pc to any prospective second-hand buyer. The 7X wipe and Gutmann seem a little excessive and can, from what I have read, burn out a hard drive sometimes. 

You can use CCleaner's wiper but only on a hard drive that does not have the System Files because you are running CCleaner inside of Windows. If you want to wipe the Windows disk then you will need a bootable disk like DBAN. I have used DBAN and do not remember it requiring anything to do with the BIOS other than making sure the disk DBAN is on is listed as the first boot device.

You can create a bootable version of Partition Wizard and use it to wipe the drive. Download the iso file and burn to disk by right clicking on any Windows 7 or later computer and selecting Burn Disk Image. 

#8 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:19 PM

Question is,

You can use CCleaner's wiper but only on a hard drive that does not have the System Files because you are running CCleaner inside of Windows. If you want to wipe the Windows disk then you will need a bootable disk like DBAN. I have used DBAN and do not remember it requiring anything to do with the BIOS other than making sure the disk DBAN is on is listed as the first boot device.

You can create a bootable version of Partition Wizard and use it to wipe the drive. Download the iso file and burn to disk by right clicking on any Windows 7 or later computer and selecting Burn Disk Image. 

Great...thanks for the info....all very useful to me!

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:21 PM

No problem, glad to help.

If you have an OEM computer you can do a factory reset which would essentially do the same thing but would not be as secure as a zero wipe though I doubt a regular buyer would be able to pull data from a drive that was factory reset.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 October 2016 - 04:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users