Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal Drive No Longer Appears In File Explorer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 UM Wolverine

UM Wolverine

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:11 AM

Hello everyone.

I just started experiencing a problem that I cannot diagnose.

My computer has 3 internal drives. One of them (E:\) no longer appears in File Explorer. It also does not appear in Computer Management / Disk Management or Device Manager. This problem just started yesterday. Prior to that, all was fine.I have rebooted the computer, but that did not solve the problem.

Here is some background information:

1. I am using Windows 10 Pro. The Anniversary Update was applied several weeks ago.

2. My PC is an HP Envy desktop and is approximately 3 1/2 years old.

I am at a loss as to what to do and hope someone who reads this forum can offer guidance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:15 AM

Would you be able to try this hard-drive in another computer?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:17 AM

Is the drive detected in your UEFI/BIOS?

#4 UM Wolverine

UM Wolverine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for the quick responses.

Unfortunately, I do not have another computer to use.

Also, I don't know how to determine if the drive is detected in the UEFI/BIOS. If you can walk me through the process I will give it a try?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:29 AM

When booting tap Esc. You will get a menu list with options including you UEFI settings key. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07110

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 October 2016 - 10:30 AM.

#6 UM Wolverine

UM Wolverine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:14 PM

When booting tap Esc. You will get a menu list with options including you UEFI settings key. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07110

Hello JohnC_21.

It appears to me that the drive is being detected by the UEFI/BIOS; however, it does not appear in File Explorer.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:29 PM

Open a command prompt and type the following commands. How disk size is E:? Edit: Is there any disk in Disk Management labeled RAW or not initialized?

diskpart

list volume

Copy and Paste the output.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 October 2016 - 12:31 PM.

#8 UM Wolverine

UM Wolverine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:56 PM

Open a command prompt and type the following commands. How disk size is E:? Edit: Is there any disk in Disk Management labeled RAW or not initialized?

diskpart
list volume

Copy and Paste the output.

E: is approximately 931 GB. It is the same size as F:. Diskpart output is attached in a JPG file

Attached Files

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:06 PM

Type the following commands. 

diskpart

list disk.

Post the output. 

Do you have a spare SATA data cable? If you have an available SATA power connector from the PSU I would use it and also try a different SATA port if one is available.

#10 UM Wolverine

UM Wolverine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:16 PM

Type the following commands. 

diskpart
list disk.

Post the output. 

Do you have a spare SATA data cable? If you have an available SATA power connector from the PSU I would use it and also try a different SATA port if one is available.

Attached File  2016-10-14_13-49-13.jpg   86.04KB   0 downloadsAttached File  2016-10-14_13-49-13.jpg   86.04KB   0 downloads

Output is included in attached JPG file.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:23 PM

For some reason I cannot open the images. Do you see a disk number for your 931GB drive? From what I can see those images are volumes, not disk numbers. Use the list disk command from diskpart, not list volume.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 October 2016 - 01:26 PM.

#12 UM Wolverine

UM Wolverine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:27 PM

For some reason I cannot open the images. Do you see a disk number for your 931GB drive? From what I can see those images are volumes, not disk numbers. Use the list disk command from diskpart, not list volume.

I see the F drive listed at 931 GB. It's Volume 7 and is listed as Healthy. It's counterpart (E drive) does not appear  in the list.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:40 PM

If the drive is not detected by windows after changing the cable or SATA port it may have failed. You can try booting a live linux to see if linux can detect and mount the disk. 

If you have SecureBoot enabled disable it. Download Fatdog64. Burn the iso to a CD and boot. In the lower left you will see your disks labeled sda, sdb, sdc, etc. Each sdx will have a number suffix representing the partition(s) on the disk. The disk that is not detected by Windows may be sdc. Click once on the icon and the partition will mount. A file manager will open. If you do not see your files then try another sdx disk. If linux  does not see the disk then the next thing I would try is attaching via a USB enclosure or adapter.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

Fatdog64-702.iso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users