Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 not seeing a disk taken from a Windows 10 machine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sayres

sayres

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:38 AM

Well actually.... it DOES see the disk in Disk Management but it's not initialized.  It does NOT show up as a lettered, readable disk in File Explorer.

What I'm attempting to do is use a SATA-to-USB adapter connected to a Windows 7 computer to retrieve and back up personal data files on a disk removed from a machine running Windows 10 which has a motherboard problem.

I used to be able to pull hard drives from XP, Vista, and 7 systems, connect a USB-SATA adapter to a working computer and the pulled drive and navigate the pulled drive.  But not with a disk taken from a Windows 10 machine - file Explorer doesn't recognize it.

What's the trick?

Edited by sayres, 14 October 2016 - 12:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:38 AM

FWIW:  I have XP and Win 7 installed on a SSD...and I installed Win 10 on a hard drive.

Win 7 and XP both see the W10 partition and hard drive.

I would check the  connections and drive.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,034 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:11 PM

If Luis's suggestion does not solve the problem a live linux distro may be able to mount the drive. Download Fatdog64, burn the iso, and at the desktop attach your USB adapter. A USB icon will appear. There may be more than one because of the multiple partition on the disk. Click the icon and see if the partition mounts. A drive listed as not initialized may indicated a bad drive.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

Fatdog64-702.iso

If Fatdog can mount your partition with your data post back I and I give instruction on how to copy from the USB external to the internal drive. Copying is a little different with Fatdog.

If that does not work then there is another software called Testdisk that may be able to recover your files.

#4 sayres

sayres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:27 PM

It was the adapter I was using!  It always worked on drives and it still works on some but apparently not others.  I pulled out a semi-retired Apricorn DriveWire and the folders popped right up.  Thanks for helping.  Looks like I need to get another main USB to SATA reader.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,899 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for letting us know, glad you resolved it.

Happy computing :)>

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users