Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows detected a hard disk problem" on new hard disk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 whitewolf47

whitewolf47

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:11 AM

I am having this Hard Disk problem. My old Hard Disk (Samasung 500GB) (bought in 2010) started showing signs of corruption (like Windows doing chkdsk at every boot, and data getting lost). So I bought a NEW Hard Disk (Western Digital 1TB) last month (Sep 2016) to backup all the data from old one. I didn't have time to backup but wanted to use PC so I Clean Installed Windows 7 64bit on the New Western Digital 1TB and used it about a month without any problems.

A couple of days ago i decided to backup up the data. I reformatted the New Western Digital 1TB with Gparted and did a clean Windows 7 Install again. I connected the old Samsung 500GB to the motherboard and started copying the files to the new Western Digital 1TB.

Suddenly Windows showed me an error "Windows detected a hard disk problem" which makes sense because the Samsung 500GB is old and might be failing BUT the error is showing both of my Hard disk in the dialog box.

Is my new hard disk corrupt as well?

Why is Windows showing my new hard disk as failing?

Can Windows mistakenly show both hard disk in error?

Please help i am confused. sorry for a confusing question. i will answer anything required.

I have taken the screenshot of the error message, they are in attached files.

1)The 1st Screenshot shows both my Hard disk in the error box (OLD Samsung and NEW Western Digital WD)

2)The 2nd Screenshot shows only one of my Hard disk and its the new one (Western digital WD)

Attached Files

Edited by whitewolf47, 14 October 2016 - 08:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:24 PM

At work we frequently see that a failing hard drive can cause other problems with a system.
Sometimes the problems are so bad that you have to remove the failing hard drive in order to finish running diagnostics on the affected system.

In short, I would try to backup whatever you can from the failing hard drive.

But you have to realize that the drive may be too damaged for this to be successful.

If that is the case, then data recovery will quickly become very expensive.

You may want to try backing up the data using a bootable disk that will allow you to run the OS out of your RAM (rather than the hard drive).

Then it may be easier to backup the data to the other hard drive.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 whitewolf47

whitewolf47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:19 AM

@usasma Thank you very much for the reply. I disconnected the old hard disk and used the PC for about 2 days and Windows didn't show me any errors. I also did some Hard disk test like S.M.A.R.T. and looks like the new Hard disk is perfectly fine, it was the old hard disk giving problems. I was thinking the same to get a bootable OS like Ubuntu, knoppix etc. and copy all the remaining files to the new hard disk before the old completely fails.

Can you suggest me any advance copy software for linux (ubuntu) that does a CRC check of all the files that are copied or do you know any linux distro which specialize in such kind of tasks.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:48 AM

File copy software in most OS's does a check of the contents while it's copying (that's why it takes longer to copy from a dying drive than from a healthy drive).

Beyond that, I'd suggest posting over in the Alternate OS forums or the Backup forums for suggestions.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Ignisinitium

Ignisinitium

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:29 PM

Clonezilla can check the file system and copy the drive. If you use expert mode you can have it skip any of the bad blocks if there are any.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users