Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats the deal with shadow copy (previous versions) on Windows 10??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nickl99

nickl99

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:00 AM

I know there is this "File History" thing, but that works differently, and will only accept an external drive to back up to. Thats not what i want.

I want good old shadow copies where you can right click on any folder and see 30 restore points going back months. The tab is still there in folder properties, but shows no shadow copies. NOW it WAS working about 6 months ago but after some updates I found the "Volume Shadow Copy Service" stopped. All I had to do was start it (and set it to auto start) and my shadow copies were back again. Today I found the service off again, but alas starting it has done nothing. Empty previous versions. It seems windows updates keep resetting the service to manual or disabled.

Also in Services in addition to "Volume Shadow Copy" service there is also a "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider" service: Anyone know what it does? and does it need to be on as well as VSS? For the record there is also a "File History Service" in the started services. I'm starting to think you can only use one of these backup services, and the classic 'previous versions' we all know and loved is not supported in Windows 10? 

I have 2 drives and C drive is the only one set for 'system protection' in control panel-> System properties-> System Protection tab. All set up, and I wait days and do a manual system restore but alas nothing shows for previous versions.

Question: If you do use File History, do saved versions appear in 'previous versions' tab for a folder?

Anyone know the deal with Windows 10 and shadow copy? Is it possible to have classic shadow copy back and not use "File History". Thanks

Edited by nickl99, 14 October 2016 - 12:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:05 AM

Use ShadowExplorer program to explore shadow copies of your files and folder you can export any one of the file and folders.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:53 AM

You want to run both Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider & Volume Shadow Copy on automatic. To manage system restore you can type sysdm.cpl in search and click system protection tab. Increase the slider you get more things copied. System restore points only restore docs, txt, exe, dll, registry & important system files to get the system back to a functioning state. It's not going to restore pics, movie files. It's only a useful extension of a full backup solution like windows backup or some other backup cloning software. The files are stored in a hidden locked directory under C:\System Volume Information. Viruses and malware love to delete the restore points. So don't rely on it completely. You can use shadow explore program, but it is not necessary. You can right click any directory and choose restore previous versions and double click. If there is no copies listed then the services are not running auto or started and you didn't get a good backup started. It's best to leave it auto and create a better schedule time. I believe it does it's routines mostly during startup/shutdown of the system.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users