Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Re-boots Automatically And Frequently

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 d Tharpe

d Tharpe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:10 AM

This problem started a few weeks ago and usually just at night sometime because in the morning it would ask me to relog on and spysweeper by webroot would flash that it's nightly scheduled scan did not happen. I'm afraid I may have made matters worse by running AShampoo including cleaning the registry. I've also loaded ewido antispy within the past few days.
Norton antivirus is up to date and I had it scheduled to run every other day but I noticed that it hasn't been able to run a full system scan since june. I must have tried 30-40 times to get it to run without having the system re-boot and it finally did. The results were negative for a virus and I also ran it in safe mode with the same results. I also went to the Symantec web site and ran a virus check from there and it came back negative.

Webroots Spy Sweeper hasn't found a threat since it was installed onto this computers brand new hard drive, (installed norton antivirus at the same time).

ewido found 2 threats when I ran it but it only listed one by name and I've had both removed.

Ashampoo found a bunch of stuff and I've had it clean what it found.

I'm writing this from my wifes computer because mine is so unpredictable and most times I can't get it to stay on for more then 10 15 minutes at the most without rebooting and most of the time it reboots within minutes of coming up. I can get it to stay on for longer periods in safe mode but not always.

I don't even no where to begin and what really makes me just that much more mad is my computer is practically brand new and the first brand new computer I've ever had. Most were like my wifes computer, a hand me down from someone else.

Any help or any ideas that someone can come up with will surely be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:17 AM

The symptoms you describe could be viral related or they could be due to hardware or overheating problems caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, etc.

However, just to be sure download and scan with MS Malicious Software Removal Tool and with Vcleaner Tool.

If your not finding any malware then its sounds like the latter problem. When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? Open your machine and make sure the fans are working and the heat sink on the processor is not blocked with dust or debris. Remove the CPU's cooling unit and clean the fins on the heat sink that sits under the CPU with a can of compressed air. Dust restricts the airflow and prevents proper cooling. You can also remove the cards, RAM modules, clean and reseat them. Check your connections and fans to make sure they are working properly and monitor the temperature. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to restart on a more regular basis like you are experiencing.

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. If that fatal error only occurs when you're shutting down, the system reboots automatically and you should be able to see the error by looking in the Event Log. An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot so you can actually see the error when it happens. This is a BSOD.

To change the recovery settings and disable automatic rebooting, do this:
1. Right-click on My Computer and select Properties > Advanced tab.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Under "Startup and Recovery" click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure".
4. Make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is UNchecked.
5. Click "OK" and reboot.

Doing this won't cure your problem but instead of restarting you will get a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) with information displayed that will allow you to better trace your problem.

Download and run Motherboard Monitor 5. If Motherboard Monitor's seems to be reporting high temperatures for your CPU check to see what your max CPU temp is from here.

You can try Microsoft's Online Crash Analysis - The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests.

Also see Memtest86+: http://www.memtest.org/ and http://www.memtest86.com/

A word of caution: Be careful using any type of registry cleaners and always BACKUP your regiistry prior to making any changes or using cleaners.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,987 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:35 PM

Since you are having difficulties keeping the computer up and running, I would suggest downloading the files quietman7 has suggested to a disk on another computer and then installing them on your computer.

Good luck,

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 d Tharpe

d Tharpe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:17 AM

Since this is a brand new computer I didn't think the problem would be a dirty heatsink but alas, since there is a tunnel blowing air directly from the outside onto the heatsink, and it was dirty. I cleaned it all out, checked connections and here I am on my own somewhat stable computer.

Though the stability of my system has been greatly increased its still has some problems with rebooting. I've traced it down to several things. When ever Norton Antivirus runs, at some point during the run the computer reboots. I can run all the other Norton programs on the SystemWorks suite without any problem Even the Norton auto protect in my start up tray will cause my computer to crash just by clicking on it.

Ewido, webroot spy sweeper, and the MS malicious software removal tool all report no problems. Interestingly, Vcleanertool will cause my computer to crash and reboot every time I run it. So I'm thinking I've got a supervirus, something that can tell when it's close to being discovered so it just crashes the system and reboots there by killing the hunter. What the hell is up with that, a virus with AI (the computer version of antibiotic resisant strains of bacteria)? Maybe I just watch to much TV.

Another problem I've easily discovered is that my e-mail client, "Outlook" no longer will receive or deliver e-mail.

Thank you Quietman and Orange blossom for your suggestions so far, keep'em coming because I need them and I really appreciate what you all are doing. (Orange blossom, are you from FL?)

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:31 AM

Try performing these online Virus scans:
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]
Trend Micro Housecall Scan
Panda ActiveScan

Also, what happens if you disconnect from the net and temporarily disable NAV? How does your computer perform without it running?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:57 AM

I just got thru reading user comments on Ashampoo. Complaints of crashing other programs, one hour plus scanning time, making a big todo over cookies and adware attempting to install during updates and difficulty updating. Why not try turning off Ashampoo and see what happens. Spy Sweeper has been reported having problems with Java and causing slow browser loading and crashes. Suggest you turn off both of these programs and scan with Ewido in safe mode. Then try scanning with your AV and see if you still have problems.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 d Tharpe

d Tharpe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:35 AM

I finally got the "Trend Micro House Call" to run through a full scan without having my computer reboot but it took 6 tries and this is what it reported. and also said that it cleaned.

adware_bhot_imyonbar
spyware_trak_pwstealer

Panda active scan seems to be incredibly proud of its self and insists on calling the 2 cookies it found by their scientific name, but it also said I have the following things. Since it wouldn't clean it I've done searches for all of these and can't find the names in any files, or BHO's so I don't know what to think.

Searchcentrix
dynamic toolbar
datos.dat
mygeek

Bottom line. My computer while not rebooting anywhere near as frequently as it was, still is 4 or 5 times a day. sometimes while I'm using it, and sometimes I'll come back and it will have rebooted on it's own. If it was heavier I could use it as an anchor but it doesn't even do that very well.

Any ideas? and at the same time thank you for your help so far.

By the way Ashampoo seemed to work for me pretty well and the longest it ever took to scan the 75 gig of files on my 100gig hard drive was about 12 minutes, I thought it was a adecent product but I did uninstall it.

Edited by d Tharpe, 26 August 2006 - 12:37 AM.

#8 cilypudi

cilypudi

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:58 AM

I would install the excellent, small free program called RegSeeker. Just type in the stuff Panda found, words, parts of words or number strings. It will search your registry (and also files/folders) for any occurances You can get it here:http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

I love it, use it all the time. I guarantee, if it is anywhere in your computer, it will find it. You may then deal with it as you wish (with backups of course). Very simple little program. Hope this helps.

And NEVER blindly delete everything a registry cleaner finds! That is a very bad bad bad no no.

CilyPudi has need to retire now. Goodbye.
The Muses manifest between the Mouse and the Chair.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:11 PM

You didn't mention whether or not you tried turning off SpySweeper. If you have the latest version of SpySweeper I suggest you try that to see if your computer stops rebooting. Also, If there is no improvement after doing so, I would recommend that you post a Hijack This Log by following the instructions found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 d Tharpe

d Tharpe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:53 PM

Sorry it's been so long. I was in an accident of sorts and am now in a a couple of casts and typing with one hand, poorly too.
Regrettably, my computer is still rebooting 5-6 times a day, all at completely random times. I haven't gotten any BSOD's and can't find any trouble logs even though I did what was asked of me to find those.
I'm going to skip the Regseeker program for now. but all the other test i've run with norton av, spysweeper and ewido in all types of configurations from all of them to only one running and then two running.
The only test I couldn't run were the memory tests, I had a very difficult time trying to set them up.

I plan on following the advice in the last post asking me to post a HJT log.

thanks everyone

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:54 AM

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you have a speedy recovery and good luck with your log.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users