Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help creating batch file to open program

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 crowndroyal

crowndroyal

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:28 PM

Hello 

I am wanting to create a batch file to open a program on a computer that is connected to the server network. 

The program is just a simple one that logs emplyee's in and out as well as entering their jobs etc. 

every time we want to open the program we have to copy and paste the network path into a window that pops up, I would like to be able to create a batch file to bypass this so when the icon on the desktop is clicked it just opens. 
The reason for this is because the program seems to crash when left open or on for long periods so when someone logs in , in the morning or onto a job we then have to close the program ( so it does not crash and hang )

There is obviously something messed up with the network or the computer but until we can find and diagnose the problem I would like an easy fix  for the guys on the shop floor. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:46 PM

As the network path needs to be entered in the application it's not a "Windows" function that can be fixed with a batch script, unless the developer has made that available.

I suggest you contact the software developer.

ps: nice cichlid

#3 crowndroyal

crowndroyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:41 PM

It is not the program that asks for the network path , it is just a OS window that pops up asking for the network path , then the program actually opens after it is entered. 

it is almost like the program does not know where it is supposed to be accessed from on the computer or the computer is not connected to the network properly. 

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:50 PM

So the path you enter is the path to the executable?

#5 crowndroyal

crowndroyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:52 PM

So the path you enter is the path to the executable?

Yes that would be correct from what I know. 

you click on the desktop icon 

a OS window pops up ( Network server window ) asking for the path of the program  we copy and paste that into the window click ok then the program opens. 

I can give you more information tomorrow of the actual path I do not know it off the top of my head. 

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:00 PM

Ah, ok...

• Right click the desktop icon
  • Select "properties"
  • Enter your directory path in the "Start in" field. Make sure to put " " around it if it has any spaces in the string.
  • Save & close

Should work now.

#7 crowndroyal

crowndroyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:42 PM

Ah, ok...

• Right click the desktop icon
  • Select "properties"
  • Enter your directory path in the "Start in" field. Make sure to put " " around it if it has any spaces in the string.
  • Save & close

Should work now.

Ok I did that and the "verify file location" window still pops up I copy pasted it into the "start in" field even with and without quotes  still was not opening without that "verify file location"  window and I copy pasted the same file path into that window as I entered into the "start in" 

Have no idea whats going on I think this was the main reason why I asked about a batch file. 

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:48 PM

What is the name of the application?

#9 crowndroyal

crowndroyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:16 PM

touchscreen something I will have to get back to you on that I cant remember and its now the weekend. 

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:32 PM

Ok, no worries.

Hopefully we can find some documentation from the developer next week.

#11 crowndroyal

crowndroyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:23 PM

I am almost positive it's a server issue , they have had server issues since I started working there.

#12 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:46 PM

I think you are going about this in the wrong way mate. If they are domain joined computers then simply use a GPO to create a new desktop shortcut to the network path but always use the FQDN instead of \\servername.
Then give the shortcut an icon and name, make sure it's under computer confit and not a user config GPO.

#13 crowndroyal

crowndroyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:06 PM

I think you are going about this in the wrong way mate. If they are domain joined computers then simply use a GPO to create a new desktop shortcut to the network path but always use the FQDN instead of \\servername.
Then give the shortcut an icon and name, make sure it's under computer confit and not a user config GPO.

And how do I do that when the boss wont allow me to touch the server ?  I have told him that already and the guy he pays to come do stuff still cant fix bleep. If I could fix it server side I would. 

#14 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:25 PM

LOL that i cant answer mate because it is one of the most simplest things you can do on a server is to create a desktop shortcut.

Also if the person who comes to your work cant fix it by creating a shortcut GPO, then its time you found some other company mate.

Give your boss and the IT fella this link and then slap them in the face.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2014/02/17/adding-shortcuts-on-desktop-using-group-policy-preferences-in-windows-8-and-windows-8-1/

I have created like 6 of these for various things and the advantage is, domain joined computers will always trust the FQDN path.

#15 crowndroyal

crowndroyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:51 PM

we are using windows 7 is it still the same ? 

and where it says location EG

Similarly for Network the options are:

1. Action : Update

2. Target type : Shell Object

3. Location : All Users Desktop  ( If i wanted this on just one computer instead of all I would select that computer name correct ) 

4. For Target object, click on the browse option and then chose ‘Network’

5. Name : My Network Places

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users