Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp wont show internet connections; no system restore; pretty much screwed

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 salsa

salsa

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:58 PM

help! I have very little access to a another computer so please be patient ... my computer is an xp. last night my computer was not showing any internet connections, so I played with those, got a connection and slowly things went haywire. now today, I cannot get online; no network connections showing; avast not working  and system restore is not working. all my files appear to be in tact but I can no longer get online and a window pop up says: ' Microsoft intellipoint has encountered a problem and needs to close..  '  the start menu has also changed. computer repair guy says to get a new computer. are there any other suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:06 PM

See https://www.windowsforum.org/topic/29295-microsoft-intellipoint/ .

To really delve into what's going on with the system...I would need some data that it appears you are unable to provide.

Have you booted into safe mode to see if the problem pertains there?

Louis

#3 salsa

salsa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:00 PM

yes.. booted several times. am now in normal startup and followed google advice to change something like child permissions in registry. this allowed me to see all components of device manager. also the intel prompt is no longer popping up. it seems that a plug and play is the problem also but don't know how.

so now I am still not seeing the network connections icon but in device manager it shows an exclamation mark at the pci modem. I cannot update drivers. does this help?

#4 salsa

salsa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:01 PM

problem was still there in safe mode. I can try again.

avast is now working but still not network connections.

many services were disabled. 

found comment that Ethernet adapter wireless connection   media disconnected.

also changed wireless network connection properties to obtain dns server automatically and it allowed the option back in the start menu to connect to wireless but still no connection enabled.

Edited by salsa, 14 October 2016 - 12:41 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

Do you have wired connectivity capability?  The PCI modem is the wired connection.  If you connect wirelessly...you need to focus on the wlan connecction.

Do you have a drivers cd for your motherboard or system?  System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#6 salsa

salsa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 11:50 AM

even hard wiring is not working. no online ability... the icon is x-ed out on the lower right of  the screen.  

the manufacturer cds have nothing on them that are helping

i am using a toshiba satellite m45s269  windows xp home edition.

will try to reboot modem and router. 

im running out of options and have to get files transferred im afraid soon to another computer. what a royal pain.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:08 PM

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager especially next to Network Adapters?

Have you tried connecting to the internet after uninstalling avast? 

I don't know if you have done the following but open a command prompt in an admin account and type the following commands.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot.

If you still cannot connect download and run Windows Repair and only check the box for Network Repair. I understand you do not have access to another computer but hopefully to can find one and download the utility to a flash drive. 

#8 salsa

salsa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:12 PM

you want me to uninstall avast first? I wont be able to reinstall it w/o connection

#9 salsa

salsa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:17 PM

under network adapters , 1394 net adapter has a red x thru it; intel prowireless ok and marvell yukon ok; other devices has question mark and pci modem has yellow exclamation thru it. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall those x ed out to no  avail

Edited by salsa, 15 October 2016 - 12:18 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:21 PM

Don't uninstall avast yet. Do the two commands I listed. Since you are not on the internet removing avast would not be a problem until you can connect and it that case you can reinstall but if you have the pro and not the free version of avast make sure you save your license key first.

Right click other devices and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Post the first line.

Capture13.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 October 2016 - 12:22 PM.

#11 salsa

salsa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:56 PM

I cant even tell which account I'm in... under user accounts, its greyed out. so frustrated how do I get to admin account? safe mode?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:07 PM

In Control Panel select Users and look at the accounts. It will tell you which user has admin privileges. One should be an admin account.

xphome13.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 October 2016 - 01:08 PM.

#13 salsa

salsa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:27 PM

ok. got into safe mode as admin and rebooted after entering your commands. still nothing

there is nothing showing when right click other devices

Edited by salsa, 15 October 2016 - 01:28 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:33 PM

Right clicking other devices does show Properties in the context menu? You should be able to create an admin account using the Administrator account in Safe Mode. This would eliminate the need to enter safe mode for an admin account.

The next thing I would try is uninstalling avast and see if you connect to the internet.

#15 salsa

salsa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:59 PM

apparently I am in the admin account. and yes other devices is blank

Edited by salsa, 15 October 2016 - 02:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users