Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which one is better? 360 Total Security or Malewarebytes?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Kay100

Kay100

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:29 PM

Some friend recommended 360 Total Security to me and I've been using it for a while seem to be working fine.

Recently I ran a complete virus scan using 360 and nothing was found. But my computer still had some problems. So I installed Malewarebyes and ran a scan and it found quite a few maleware including some PUP and Trojan.Agent. 

Although the result was like this, some people told me not to believe Malewarebytes too much, because it often find lots of maleware while there actually wasn't any. They do this just try to sell their software.

I'm not sure if it's true about the Malewarebytes. 

Is 360 Total security good enough for protecting my computer? Or do I need to also install Malewarebytes?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:34 PM

360 Total Security is an ant-virus program. Malwarebytes is an anti-malware program.

Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything.

Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,896 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:36 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware uses a proprietary low level driver similar to some anti-rootkit (ARK) scanners to locate hidden files and special techniques which enable it to detect a wide spectrum of threats including active rootkits, zero-day malware and malware in the wild. Malwarebytes is designed to be a much more comprehensive scanner than other tools and the new scanning engine in version 2.0 has some enhancements to deal with current threats that the old version did not have...but performs the same way whether using the Free or Premium version. Proprietary scan sections include "Pre-Scan Operations" and "Heuristic Analysis" which at times can be resource intensive leading to a false impression that the scanner is hanging or unresponsive. All scans require loading various databases which alone can take some time to complete.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium includes a real-time Protection Module that uses advanced heuristics scanning technology to monitor your system, prevent access to and from known malicious webpages, and prevent the installation of most new malware, stopping malware distribution at the source. This technology dynamically blocks malicious webpages & servers, prevents the execution of malware, proactively monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer.

Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. Keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee something will not slip through as no product can detect and prevent every type of malware. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Also keep in mind that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software...it does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute.

#4 Kay100

Kay100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:56 PM

Thanks Global Moderator for your reply. So do you suggest that I do need both antivirus and anti-maleware at the same time? Just 360 Total Security is not enough?

But 360 Total Security is free but Malewarebytes free version only lasts 14 days. Is there any totally free anti-maleware software out there?

#5 Mozart1

Mozart1

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:00 PM

360 Total Security performs poorly according to av-comparatives.org

Based on that I wouldn't use it.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,896 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:08 PM

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution with real-time protection for maximum protection.

#7 Mozart1

Mozart1

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:48 PM

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution with real-time protection for maximum protection.

That's why I personally prefer methods and strategies that doesn't need to rely on AV's and AM's, as that usually only address the effects, where I prefer a prevention better than the cure method and strategy.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,896 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:54 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer...that is prevention.

#9 Mozart1

Mozart1

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:17 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer...that is prevention.

It is not a complete prevention as it doesn't cover ALL possible infections, hence, a better strategy is to implement a method which can stop all possible infections.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,896 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:22 PM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for new malware to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus/anti-malware researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything. Malware writers have the advantage since no matter how hard security vendors attempt to stay on top of new threats, there is always a short time-frame in which a new malicious file goes undetected and can infect a computer without detection.

#11 Mozart1

Mozart1

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:45 PM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for new malware to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus/anti-malware researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything. Malware writers have the advantage since no matter how hard security vendors attempt to stay on top of new threats, there is always a short time-frame in which a new malicious file goes undetected and can infect a computer without detection.

Agreed, nothing is 100%.  However, we have ability to use certain strategies to get as close to 100% over other strategies.

There are some steps people can take to get very close to 100%, over other steps people take or do not take which places them at higher risks and further away from 100%.

Edited by Mozart1, 13 October 2016 - 09:46 PM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,896 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:58 PM

The user is the first and last line of defense and security is a constant effort to stay one step ahead of the bad guys. The end user needs to stay informed, constantly educate themselves about the latest malware threats as well as those recommendations by security experts on how to protect themselves and practice safe computing. If they are an employee of an organization, that also means following policy and procedures for the use of computer equipment and related resources implemented by the agency IT Department. Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone can have.

Unfortunately, it as been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.

Security is all about layers, and not depending on any one technology or approach to detect or save you from the latest threats. The most important layer in that security defense? You! Most threats succeed because they take advantage of human weaknesses (laziness, apathy, ignorance, etc.), and less because of their sophistication.

Krebs on Security

#13 Mozart1

Mozart1

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:05 AM

The user is the first and last line of defense and security is a constant effort to stay one step ahead of the bad guys. The end user needs to stay informed, constantly educate themselves about the latest malware threats as well as those recommendations by security experts on how to protect themselves and practice safe computing. If they are an employee of an organization, that also means following policy and procedures for the use of computer equipment and related resources implemented by the agency IT Department. Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone can have.

Unfortunately, it as been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.

Security is all about layers, and not depending on any one technology or approach to detect or save you from the latest threats. The most important layer in that security defense? You! Most threats succeed because they take advantage of human weaknesses (laziness, apathy, ignorance, etc.), and less because of their sophistication.

Krebs on Security

Apathy is a good work describing many people and their constant issues.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,896 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:06 AM

I would add laziness.

#15 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 16 October 2016 - 04:20 AM

360 Total Security performs poorly according to av-comparatives.org

Based on that I wouldn't use it.

I can't even find where it is currently being compared to the others...; when was the last year that occurred?

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users