Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My WiFi card is not working and I'm not great with computers.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mershed

mershed

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:46 PM

With help from a friend I built a PC last year, and I've always been able to use wired connection via Ethernet cable to use Internet. Recently I've moved to a new house for university and I can only use WiFi, so I've bought myself a wifi card and I've installed it to the best of my ability and I think it's correct. However whenever I start my PC I get a notification saying "the wireless network driver is not installed in the system" even though I have installed the drivers. I'm stumped as to what I can do since I've found nothing helpful in the troubleshoot menus. I'm not entirely sure what specs to post with this but I have bought a GC-WB867D-I wifi card and I have an MSI 970 Gaming AMD 970 ATX motherboard

Edited by mershed, 13 October 2016 - 02:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:03 PM

What is the OS of the computer? Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to your Wifi Network Adapter in Device Manager?  In any case right click your Wifi adapter in Device Manager, select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line into your next post.

#3 mershed

mershed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:07 PM

OS is Windows 7
Looking at network adapters in device manager and the wireless one isn't showing up, only what I believe is the Ethernet port.hiwever there is two devices I don't recognise under "other devices" both named "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" which have a yellow triangle warning sign on them. Any idea why my wifi card isn't showing up?

#4 ManlyMcManlyton

ManlyMcManlyton

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:14 PM

Is it actually installed correctly?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:15 PM

I would have to say the card is bad or possibly you need to enable the PCIe port in UEFI settings. If your card is not showing in Device Manager then installing drivers will have not affect. You may want to try pulling and reattaching the card. 

The Universal Serial Bus controller may be your USB 3 controller. Right click both and provide the Vendor and Device ID for both devices. 

devicedriverdetails_thumb.png

#6 mershed

mershed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:37 PM

VEN and DEV IDs are the same
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3483&SUBSYS_76931462&REV_01

I went to the BIOS screen because I don't know where to find UEFI settings but couldn't find where to activate the PCIe port. Only something to do with their timers? Probably irrelevant, so I'll just try pulling and reattaching the card. I appreciate your help since I'm clueless with this kinda stuff.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:02 PM

The USB driver is for USB 3 with the VIA chipset. You can download it here. This is for 64bit.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/970-GAMING.html#down-driver&Win7 64   -   Under Other Drivers.

I would RMA the card or try the card in another PCIe slot. It looks like your MB has two available PCIe X 1 slots.

#8 mershed

mershed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for your help. Gotaa return the device I'm using to post on here now but I'll try your suggestion and see if it works tomorrow, you've been a big help bud

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users