Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone else use Chrome OS or Chromium OS?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ManlyMcManlyton

ManlyMcManlyton

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:52 AM

I have an actual Chromebook, specifically a Lenovo N22. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:57 AM

I have used Chrome OS  before and personally i hate it, it's SO limited, it can not run .exe's, so you just get the "google apps" and if that's what you're shooting for I'd recommend RemixOS.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:33 PM

I have a Chromebook at work. It's great, if most of your tasks involve a web browser. There is plenty of usefulness in a Chromebook, until you compare it to a PC or Mac.

I am eagerly awaiting Android/Chrome OS.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:17 PM

I used my moms chromebook, its actually not that bad.

Sure compared to actual linux its limited and rather crippled but for people like my mom its near perfect.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:36 PM

I am considering setting up my mom with a ChromeBook if her mac mini dies. I don't think she needs anything beyond that, except for maybe CD playing/burning.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:05 PM

Its not a bad choice for someone who just browses the web.

For office, its not that good though office 360 does work via the web.

It works well enough

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 ManlyMcManlyton

ManlyMcManlyton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:34 PM

I have a Chromebook at work. It's great, if most of your tasks involve a web browser. There is plenty of usefulness in a Chromebook, until you compare it to a PC or Mac.

I am eagerly awaiting Android/Chrome OS.

I too am REALLY looking forward to Android and Chrome OS

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:42 PM

Yeah I too look forward to the merger, if and when it happens I would not be ashamed of owning a chromebook

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:33 PM

it can not run .exe's, so you just get the "google apps"

Run exe's on a Linux based system???? .exe is a Windows thing.

And while its not recommended you can actually side load apps from outside Google.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#10 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:45 PM

it can not run .exe's, so you just get the "google apps"

Run exe's on a Linux based system???? .exe is a Windows thing.

And while its not recommended you can actually side load apps from outside Google.

I know but OP may not have. My Apologies on trying to be informative. 

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:02 AM

I'd like a Chromebook, my issue is that regardless of price, be it $350 or $1,200, one's still stuck with a subpar 32GiB eMMC SSD, maybe good for a smartphone or tablet, but a notebook? 

Come on, for $1,200, I'd expect no less than a 120-128GB SSD, preferably a M.2 one. So until they get in tune with the times & offer true SSD's, Chromebooks aren't for me. That 'free' extra storage lasts for only a year or so, then I guess it's back to HDD storage. The potential for greatness is there, why cheap out on an already greatly reduced price drive? eMMC SSD's only ensures the user will have to purchase another within 3-5 years, which is good for Google & their OEM partners, yet the consumers gets the short end of the stick. 

Chromebooks has also had their go around with Malware, not being truly open source, it takes Google longer to provide fixes. Other than that, Chrome OS is nothing except a browser on cheap hardware, where there's no advantage in purchasing a $1,200 model over a $300-350 one. 

Just my opinion, if one already has a notebook in good shape, run Chrome or Chromium OS on real hardware & have a better experience (the newer, the better) & forget the overpriced Chromebooks. I'd likely wear out the 32GiB eMMC SSD within a year with my usage pattern, and no, these doesn't have 1.5 or 2.0 Million hours MTBF by far. If it weren't for that (or could add my own SSD instead) would purchase a Chromebook. That's the main thing that stops me from pulling the trigger on one. :)

Google is a filthy rich corporation, so I don't see the reason to be cheapskates with their hardware. If they want to make their brand of computers popular, then they have to make changes at the storage level. Consumers aren't blind, these are low powered, browser based computers. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:02 AM

I've given ChromiumOS a whirl coupla times now, running from a 4 GB flash drive. I've used the build images from Arnold the Bat's 'World of Whimsy':-

https://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress/chromium-os/

Functionality seems to vary greatly from one build to another. First one I tried, wi-fi worked, but mouse wouldn't. Next one, mouse worked fine, but I couldn't connect to the internet at all. It doesn't recognise Ethernet, 'cos it's set up for wireless only..... I tried 4 different adapters, but Chromium wouldn't recognise any of them. That was the end of that particular attempt..!

Yes, if you live online 24/7, it's fine.....but they are a bit limited; there's a hell of a lot of stuff that just doesn't work, or is even recognised...???

Not really for me, I'm afraid. There's a limit to what you can do online.....and, (*shock, horror*) I do have a life, y'know?  :lol:

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 14 October 2016 - 11:02 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:22 AM

Functionality seems to vary greatly from one build to another. First one I tried, wi-fi worked, but mouse wouldn't. Next one, mouse worked fine, but I couldn't connect to the internet at all. It doesn't recognise Ethernet,

Mike, I recall in my early days as a member of Bleeping Computer, several members had Chromebooks & suffered from the same issues. The OEM's answer was Google's 'powerwash' (their way of resetting the hardware), some users fared well, while others didn't. Plus it still had to be upgraded to the latest version, so the issues to be fixed with the powerwash had a good chance of returning, especially if three or more years old. The newer software doesn't work with the older hardware as intended. 

Unfortunately, to protect themselves from Malware, one cannot run the older builds of Chrome OS, even if running well on their computers, so if the device was a low cost one, it may be best to purchase a new one, and keep the price low, because there's not $800-900 difference in hardware between the models. Maybe $200-300 at best. 

While I'd like to try one out, the only way is if it's a gift, no way am I paying $300+ for subpar hardware, on the other hand, what does one expect for the price of the majority of these sold? :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users