Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless router setup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 barwarner

barwarner

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:14 AM

I have a DSL cable modem installed and I want to add a wireless router.  Both the modem and the router have DHCP enabled by default.  is this a problem or do I need to disable it in on one of them?

Thank you.

Barry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:20 PM

You need to disable one of them. It may be easier to disable it on the Wireless router, unless your familiar with your DSL Modem.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:56 PM

Answer really depends on two things:

1. is it a modem or a router?

2. how do you want to configure your network?

If a router not a modem you can connect the 2nd router per this article

http://www.techsupportforum.com/3001-connecting-additional-routers/

or you can do double nat [both dhcp servers enabled] with different lan subnets like 192.168.0.0/24 for one and 192.168.1.0/24 for the other

BTW referring to a router as a modem is really bad form.  It indicates a misunderstanding of what the two different devices do.

#4 barwarner

barwarner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for the replies.  What I am calling a DSL modem is the piece of equipment that AT&T installed for my U Verse internet service.  It's a Pace model 5168NV and inside the configuration it is called a Gateway.  I am not that familiar with the differences between the different networking components, so I don't know if this would also be considered a router.

I want to the add a wireless router so that I will have not only wireless access, but additional LAN ports on another part of the house.

Any additional advice or suggestions is appreciated.

Barry

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:04 AM

Yep its a router :-)  follow the instructions on that link and you can have your wifi and a shared vs segmented network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users