Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Assistance Win10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mmjanderson

mmjanderson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:59 AM

I often have to offer remote assistance to other staff members as part of my job. To do this I use msra.exe /offerra. I had no issues with this while using Win7 but since upgrading to Win10 Pro I have not been able to offer remote assistance unless I turn off UAC (User Account Control). The problem with turning off UAC is that it prevents the use of any Microsoft Apps (Edge, Calculator etc). The other issue is with Win10 you can no longer turn off UAC by moving the slider to "Never Notify". The only way to turn it off to a true "0" is via REGEDIT. 

I have been part of Microsoft Forums regarding this and have not been able to come up with a resolution that does not require turning off UAC. 

Has anyone else run into this and/or have a resolution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:37 AM

I have UAC cranked all the way up and didn't get a prompt at all. Try it again go to search type run (hit enter) then type msra /offerra (hit enter).

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:09 AM

I have UAC set at its default levels [Win10 Home 64-bit] and also get no warnings when I hit WinKey+R then enter msra /offerRA.

Just curious, but do you have the same issue if the person who wants assistance requests it from you?  I've generally always had the person making the request generate an "invitation," as it gives them more of a sense of control, but I realize that may not work in your situation.

Edited by britechguy, 13 October 2016 - 10:09 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:42 AM

Is a domain controller involved?

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:56 AM

Are you using build 1607 as that apparently fixed it.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1350337-windows-remote-assistance-uac-prompts-and-windows-10?page=2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users