Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New StickyNotes features are not available

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:25 AM

I keep coming across articles about new features of StickyNotes following the Anniversary update. They are not available to me. Clicking the Settings icon does not reveal them, as claimed. Is this another example of features only available in the USA, or specifically not (yet) in the UK?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:29 AM

What happens when you search for Sticky text from Start Menu search box.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:42 AM

It just offers 'Search the web'

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:05 AM

You can install Sticky Notes from Windows Store or from default app included with Windows 10 follow my instructions at my tutorial to reinstall  Sticky Notes.

"Uninstall Windows 10’s Built-in Apps"
https://www.dost-tech.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=172

- Dalai Lama

#5 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for your reply. I have installed Sticky Notes again but it is just the same, very basic and lacking any of the new features it is supposed to have, which might have made it worthwhile keeping. It is not at all as described in the Store. Plus I note the very low ratings and highly critical reviews users give it, even with the new features. So I have tried some of the alternatives, but have found that they lack one of my basic requirements, the ability to display notes on the computer's desktop. I find this surprising.

So at the moment I am planning to use the Gadget, Sticky Notes Online, which is superior to Microsoft's offering in a number of ways, at least until the new features arrive here. I still suspect that they have not been released yet in the UK, which is what happened with some features of Cortana at the time of the November 15 update. 

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:25 PM

The Windows Sticky Notes that is included with Windows 10 has same features as Windows 7 not much change the app you installed is made by Microsoft?

- Dalai Lama

#7 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:34 AM

Yes, the Sticky Notes I commented on originally is a Microsoft product which is supposed to have been upgraded in some interesting ways with the Anniversary update, but not for me. So I found it in the Store and re-installed it but it still does not have the new features, such as integration with Cortana, inking / Workspace, etc. For example, with the new version if you enter your email address, select and click on it your default email is opened  -- but not on my machine. Also, the new Note has a minimum size bigger than what I want. Some alternatives I have looked at are better featured but to my surprise do not display the Sticky on the PC desktop but on a dedicated board.

Having started to examine this topic I have concluded that the following are the main features I am after:

1. Stickies are displayed on the desktop --- MS app does this

2. Stickies can be resized, down to a fairly small size --- my 2-in-1 transformer style PC only has a 10.1 screen size

3. Synchronisation with other devices, such as my Windows phone

The desktop Gadget meets these requirements and also has syncing to my Android tablet, plus Sharing and backup online as well as some other features. In comparison, the MS offering without the Anniversary additions is weak.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:54 AM

You should check Windows Store for a Stick Notes app created by other than Microsoft. The Windows default Stick Notes app can be pin to desktop and resize there has been no change to Windows Stick Notes app there is no new feature for Stick Notes app.

Edited by FreeBooter, 18 October 2016 - 02:55 AM.

- Dalai Lama

#9 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:19 AM

You are entirely mistaken in saying "there has been no change". There are many significant changes / new features in the Anniversary edition, involving Cortana reminders, inking and the stylus, Skype, emailing etc, etc. And there are changes which are widely regarded as retrograde, such as lack of flexibility with fonts & font size, lack of desktop shortcuts, inability to paste images, wasted space and so on. A common criticism relevant to me is the excessive minimum size ---- quotes from MS Forum:  "I do not like the giant sticky notes at all" , "This new update is awful!" . A lot of users are finding ways to revert to the earlier Sticky Notes. Others are asking for updates to re-establish previous features.

I think you need to do more homework on this!

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:37 AM

I'm talking about default Sticky Notes that installed in Windows 10 this app you have ask for help why are you talking about what are the new features of  Anniversary version of Windows 10 i try to explain to you Sticky Notes has not change its same old Sticky Notes no new features.

- Dalai Lama

#11 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:44 PM

You only have to look at my first post to see that from the outset I have been talking about Sticky Notes following the Anniversary update, not what preceded it. The essence of my comments has been the absence of the new Anniversary features on my machine, after the update, and the possibility that they have not yet been rolled out in my region but may be in future. From the MS forum I understand the old version of Sticky Notes is no longer available by default after the update but can be re-installed with some effort, but without the new features which would be the only reason why I would want to do it.

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:13 PM

You only have to look at my first post to see that from the outset I have been talking about Sticky Notes following the Anniversary update, not what preceded it. The essence of my comments has been the absence of the new Anniversary features on my machine, after the update, and the possibility that they have not yet been rolled out in my region but may be in future. From the MS forum I understand the old version of Sticky Notes is no longer available by default after the update but can be re-installed with some effort, but without the new features which would be the only reason why I would want to do it.

Which country are you from?

- Dalai Lama

#13 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:04 PM

UK --- United Kingdom (or GB)

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:07 AM

I see lots of Windows 10 users having Sticky Notes not working correctly issue if you want you can install Sticky Notes with below Powershell command.

Add-AppxPackage  -register  "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_1.0.136.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml"  -DisableDevelopmentMode     

Restart your computer and check the Start Menu to make sure Sticky Notes has been installed.

Edited by FreeBooter, 19 October 2016 - 01:08 AM.

- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users