Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reporting malware-infested sites.....How?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:29 AM

I'm sure this is a question that has popped up before on these forums, and I'm sure I could conduct a little more on line research myself as to finding the answer. But then I thought I'd start a topic here because it might just be that there are several ways of doing it.

So after discovering a malware-infested site (on the surface web) and becoming infected as I just have with a browser hijacker (quickly eliminated thanks to Zemana!), what do I do now if I want to report the site in the hope that the page can be eliminated from the web as a whole?

Many thanks.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

An ongoing threat exists for computer users who, while browsing the Internet, began receiving pop-up security warnings that state their computers are infected with numerous viruses...If you have experienced the anti-virus pop-ups or a similar scam, please notify the IC3 by filing a complaint at www.IC3.gov.

Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3)

The IC3 accepts online Internet crime complaints from either the actual victim or from a third party to the complainant.

Filing a Complaint with IC3

Venues for reporting malicious software & sites:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:20 AM

Perfect, thanks for the info!

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:04 AM

You're welcome.

#5 BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:49 PM

Please go to this site Web of Trust and create a review for a website. Web of Trust is a browser plugin that displays a logo for safe or unsafe websites in browser searches.

https://www.mywot.com/en/community

#6 DodoIso

DodoIso

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

When I receive a spam with what I suspect to be a toxic URL, is there a place to report it like VirusTotal for apps, so interested security researchers can take a peek at it?

EDIT:

Somehow, this page wasn't fully loaded, and the links from Global Moderator were all in the format URL:: with a string hex numbers, so I couldn't make sense of any of them.  Going to one of those references, I see that VirusTotal does scan URLs too, so all is good.  Security researchers can be notified too, if they want.

Edited by DodoIso, 16 March 2017 - 01:30 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:01 PM

EDIT:
Somehow, this page wasn't fully loaded, and the links from Global Moderator were all in the format URL:: with a string hex numbers, so I couldn't make sense of any of them.  Going to one of those references, I see that VirusTotal does scan URLs too, so all is good.

Glad to hear that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users