Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating IE 11, difficulties

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Fluffy

Fluffy

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:51 PM

My version of IE 11 is out of date. I have automatic updates turned ON. I've tried unchecking that box, closing it out, and then rechecking. Nothing happens. The crickets are deafening.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, so apparently I do have the option to uninstall IE 11. However, it looks like it will revert back to a previous version of IE. That doesn't sound ideal, since I'm assuming the latest version of IE is better protected. But it may be a better option than leaving things as they are?

I don't actually use IE at all. I personally use Firefox, which is fully patched and updated. However, this is a shared computer now and I can't guarantee that no one will ever open IE again. That makes me a bit nervous if it's not up to date. I'm open to suggestions, if anyone has an idea on how to get it fully updated, or even just completely off the pc. I can always install a different browser for a backup.

Edited by hamluis, 14 October 2016 - 09:46 AM.
Moved from Web Browsing/Email to Win 7 - Hamluis.

I know the voices in my head

aren't real...

But sometimes their ideas are absolutely AWESOME!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:26 AM

Not supported for Windows 8.0 and not supported for Windows Vista.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/system-requirements-and-language-support-for-ie11

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:11 AM

Download and install a cumulative update for IE11 manually.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=seamonkey-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&q=windows+7+cumulative+update+for+Internet+explorer+11&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjr5_64j9fPAhWkK8AKHbX_DRcQvwUIGygA&biw=1098&bih=517&dpr=1.5

#4 Fluffy

Fluffy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:05 AM

Not supported for Windows 8.0 and not supported for Windows Vista.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/system-requirements-and-language-support-for-ie11

I'm running Windows 7, so this isn't an issue. ;)

Thank you, opera.  KB3134814 looked like the most recent one I can find. I've installed it but it doesn't look like it's going to work. Windows Update Standalone Installer "searches for updates on this computer", but never goes beyond that. No error messages given, just no progress. Microsoft forums have some weird answers, but not sure I want to mess with registry, reformat Windows itself, or anything else unless I exhaust the easier answers first.

I did download their update installer troubleshooter, which found two things it 'fixed'...but didn't fix the actual problem. I also ran CMD prompt to stop the automatic updates there, dumped the recommended download file, and restarted it. Nada. There seems to be a more extensive tutorial on resetting and reregistering BITS files here, but again, I prefer not to go there if there's a simpler solution.

Uninstall IE 11, restart computer to let it revert to whatever it was before, reinstall IE 11, then see if it finally updates itself?

aren't real...

#5 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:14 AM

Uninstall IE 11, restart computer to let it revert to whatever it was before, reinstall IE 11, then see if it finally updates itself?

Yes, that's what I would do.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:45 AM

FWIW:  I did a clean install of Win 7 a couple of days ago...browser was IE 8.

So I tried to download/install IE 11.  Sounds simple, right?  Not so simple (for me).  I am unable to download IE 11 from the MS website...I suggest you try to download it to your desktop...before moving on to any attempt to revert to IE 8 (via clean install) and then update.

Quite honestly...I think that MS has decided to sabotage any efforts made by users...to employ IE 7, at this date, but...I could be wrong.  I would like to be wrong...but when I examine the plethora of Windows Update issues that mysteriously sprung up over the summer and which continue today for Win 7 users...I have to think that 1 plus 1 still make 2 in this universe...at least when it comes to mathematics.

Louis

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:10 AM

Luis,

Use the offline installer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18520/download-internet-explorer-11-offline-installer

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:34 AM

Thanks, John...that seems to be working...using a browser other than IE.  Clicking on link just led me to a "your browser is outdated" dead end.  I have to wonder about any organization which makes a download for its browser...only obtainable by using a different browser.  I guess stranger things happen...but IE 11 seems to be installing now.

Louis

#9 Fluffy

Fluffy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:15 AM

Glad you got yours sorted now, hamluis. :)

I've no idea why I thought this was going to be simple for me, either. I uninstalled IE 11. Rebooted. It reverted to IE 10. However, it also told me as soon as it loaded that I had updates I needed to install for Windows. I hadn't seen that little notification in quite awhile, but figured other family members had been doing them for once. (Those were never set to automatic. One too many times of windows shutting itself down for updating in the middle of homework assignments, or manuscript writing, or researching, etc.) I clicked the notification and sure enough, there were almost 70 updates!!! I also can't download IE 11.

The windows updates simply don't download at all - no error message, no progress, it just "downloads" endlessly until I stop it. The IE 11 one did download to my pc. But when trying to run it, it says it was unable to install. No error message given beyond that. It did install a totally useless troubleshooting guide to my desktop - (most of which would need an error code).

I'll let the Windows updates run for tonight, see if hours and hours are what it needs to even begin itself. I even tried just installing ONE file instead of all of them, thinking maybe that was too many files for it to do at once.  :(   Am I missing something basic here? I shouldn't need to turn off my AV and Windows firewall for the updates to work, right? Considering that the IE 11 download is already on my pc, I'll probably attempt that tomorrow anyway, just to see if that can get IE 11 working. But I don't really hold out much hope for that, so if anyone has another suggestion, I'm all ears.

As far as windows updates go, I think that's probably going to have to be a separate thread in a different forum, although they might be linked to a common cause.

aren't real...

#10 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:12 PM

Thanks, John...that seems to be working...using a browser other than IE.  Clicking on link just led me to a "your browser is outdated" dead end.  I have to wonder about any organization which makes a download for its browser...only obtainable by using a different browser.  I guess stranger things happen...but IE 11 seems to be installing now.

Louis

Wow have I been out of the Windows Update loop too long! You can't even access the MS website to update W7 from IE8? Louis, may I ask if an IE update was even offered when you tried to bring the system up to date via the Windows Update applet or did I miss something in your posts?

@ Fluffy,

Let's see what the System Update Readiness Tool shows us... :)

You can read more about that here if you like.

The file below is for W7 64-bit.

System Update Readiness Tool (SURT)

For W7 64-bit, download and run this file.

For W7 32-bit, download and run this file.

2. When it asks you if you wish to install, please answer yes. Note: It could take 15 minutes or more to run. Please don't cancel.
3. You will get an Installation Complete screen when it's done running.
4. Please attach the log from the following location. C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#11 Fluffy

Fluffy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:30 PM

After taking most of the day to get windows updated (had to manually patch each update...couldn't even go in order of release date, had to just attempt each one until I found updates that could be finished, and wait hours for several to go through), it's finally done. I've turned on automatic updating for it, but I doubt it's working.

IE 11 was able to be re-installed after that, however it's still not updating itself completely, nor can I install updates manually. They download but don't install.

There are some threads at Microsoft dealing with the issue, but so far I haven't found anything that works for most users. I did uninstall and reinstall Silverlight, since that was one solution. No joy.

Now when I run the updater troubleshooter, I get a 0x80070057 error. Unless anyone else has ideas, I'm just going to leave it be until I have a few days to do a fresh install of Win 7 and reinstall all software. :P But many thanks to everyone that offered advice!

aren't real...

#12 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:34 PM

I would still run the System Update Readiness Tool. It's not the same as the Windows Update Troubleshooter. I prefer to check for conditions that might cause the problem than click on a quick FixIt.

A cat named ugly

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#13 Fluffy

Fluffy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:46 PM

@DonnaB  -  105 errors. No wonder it took way longer than 15 minutes to complete. ;)  I did notice it didn't fix them all, but it got most. Attached log as requested.

aren't real...

#14 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:50 PM

Hm? It didn't attach properly. See if you can try again, please.

A cat named ugly

#15 Fluffy

Fluffy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:51 PM

Would help if I hit the right button for attaching. LOL!

Attached File  CheckSUR.log   35.47KB   2 downloads

aren't real...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users