Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

login name changed - can't access laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mystifiedmlw

mystifiedmlw

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:55 PM

The login screen on my laptop has always been W*****@************.co.uk.  and I know the password.  Yesterday, when I started the laptop this login name was not there, in it's place was the name associated with that email.  It did not accept the normal password and directed me to the Microsoft accounts page to change it, which I did.  Therefore, I am absolutely certain of the password (although, I was certain of it before).  However, it does not accept the new password either.  This must be because the login name is different.  How can I change that? I can't see anything in the accounts page to help me.  Why did it make this change?  Did it have anything to do with the update to my iphone, done earlier that day? I guess that the accounts are linked. When I closed the laptop that evening, it did an automatic update.  When I started it again this morning, the situation is the same.  I have done a number of things advised on various fora (like taking out the battery) but nothing has worked.  Please help.  I don't want to have to buy a new laptop!  W10 was installed many months ago and I have never had a problem with it. I know absolutely nothing so any advice needs to be in lay language and very basic, step by step.  Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:26 PM

mystified,

There are several things you must understand if you are ever to work this out.

The first one is that your Microsoft Account password and your Windows 10 login password are not the same thing, though people very often set them up as the same thing when they adopt a given e-mail address as their Win10 and Microsoft Account login ids.  Very often people start out having the same password for their e-mail address, Win10 login id, and Microsoft Account because that's what they've entered when setting up each.  However, there is absolutely no synchronization between these and you must not believe that there is.

From the description you've given I am presuming that you had been running the pre-anniversary update version of Windows 10 (1511) and, for whatever reason, it was showing strictly your e-mail address on the login screen.  I thought things had changed before the Anniversary Upgrade to show whatever you'd set as your "real" name for the userid in question rather than the e-mail address, but I know it changed [I'm currently doing a search of the registry to see where, exactly, it picks up that information from].  This, however, does not change the password that is used with that Win10 userid.

Changing your password on your Microsoft Account does just that, and nothing else.  It does not go "in reverse" and change your Win10 login password.  My password right now is one thing on my Win10 machine and my Microsoft Account even though they started out the same and are associated via the same Gmail account.

Please try the password you always used.  The warning you got about changing the Microsoft Account password often comes if the association between the Win10 userid and its linked Microsoft Account somehow gets broken.  That's how I ended up changing my Microsoft Account password (and I wouldn't have otherwise) but my Win10 userid password remains entirely unchanged.  Just try logging in again on the computer with the password you always used, not the new one you've used on your Microsoft Account, and report back.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 mystifiedmlw

mystifiedmlw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for your quick and comprehensive reply.  Interesting to realise about the W10/Microsoft separation.  I did already try the original password and any other that I could think of that I've used for login. 

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:15 PM

mystified,

I am not trying to be snarky, but did you give the original password one more try?

Take a look at this http://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-password-in-windows-10/  and http://www.recoverlostpassword.com/windows-10/reset-forgotten-windows-10-login-password.html and/or do a web search with your favorite search engine on "Windows 10 Password Recovery".

If you're the registered owner of the device and you had a linked Microsoft Account with your Win10 login account there are ways to get around this.  Since I have not fallen into your unfortunate shoes I do not have direct experience with any of them.  I may need to create a password recovery disc just because.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:31 PM

Do not understand why you do not want to use the built-in administrator account that has no password and have the administrator rights for all things? Simply use it and You can change whatever You want.

#6 mystifiedmlw

mystifiedmlw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

Hi Brian, I just tried the original password again and confirm it doesn't work.  It's almost 1 a.m here (UK) so I will follow up with your other suggestions tomorrow.  Thanks again for your help.

Hi Kaljukass, if I can't get in, can't get past the login window, I don't know how I can access an administrator account. On further thought, I assume you may be saying I should have been using it already, which I recognise, but it doesn't solve my problem.  

#7 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:34 PM

Hi Kaljukass, if I can't get in, can't get past the login window, I don't know how I can access an administrator account. On further thought, I assume you may be saying I should have been using it already, which I recognise, but it doesn't solve my problem.  

As I understand, Your computer starts
You can see this window, where You must write password, but You don't remember (or it is not true)
Have I understand correctly?
If yes, I'll help you.

#8 mystifiedmlw

mystifiedmlw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:30 AM

Hi Kaljukass, I do know the password. What has changed is the name, so where the login screen used to say W*****@************.co.uk with a box under it for the password, it now says my name. The first thing I did was use the normal password, but that wasn't accepted. I then changed my Microsoft password at the address given on the screen but I now understand from Brian's comments that the Microsoft password and the W10 password are not related. But anyway, the original password that got me in the previous day, no longer works. The updated Microsoft password doesn't work and nor do any passwords that I can think of that I have used in the past. However, my login password has never been changed. I know that is probably not good practice but there we go! So, basically, I'm mystified as to why it changed and how to get into my laptop now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users