Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious Help Needed For The Computer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 respectedprophet

respectedprophet

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:07 PM

hey, i am new to the site, i just joined because of this huge problem i have on the computer. school is starting in a few days so i need to fix it, plus all my past essaies are trapped on the computer and i would really like to have them so they don't get lost. basically, my computer was working perfect, no different from before. then suddenly, on one random day, i turned it on then it went to a dark screen with this little bar thing flashing in the top left corner as if waiting for me to type something. i tried restarting it and holding/tapping the F8 key to get it to work in safe mode, but that did nothing. the only thing i can do on the computer is hit control-alt-delete which will make it restart and go back to that exact same screen. if theres no way to fix it, is there at least any chance i can get the numerious essaies i have typed back, maybe by taking my hard drive out and putting it onto an old computer than saving the info to a disk, or am i completely screwed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:14 PM

What operating system is on that computer?

Do any messages come up at all?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 respectedprophet

respectedprophet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:23 PM

no, nothing at all, right after i turn on the computer, it goes to the black screen with the little flashing thing at the top left. i have a windows xp home edition, its also a pretty old computer

#4 respectedprophet

respectedprophet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:46 PM

i would highly appreciate any help

#5 respectedprophet

respectedprophet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:57 AM

just wondering, is there a way to remove my hard drive and plug it into a different computer to get the info i want.

also, any help would be great

#6 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:01 AM

just wondering, is there a way to remove my hard drive and plug it into a different computer to get the info i want.

As long as the HD isn't hosed, you could take it out and slave it to another HD. Won't know til you try it though. :thumbsup:

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:35 AM

I just want to speak to getting the data off of the hard drive. You could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.

But of course, if you need help with this or any other procedure you can just ask for help here and we can explain it in more detail or refer to somewhere on the web where it will be explained more fully.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 respectedprophet

respectedprophet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:27 AM

thanks for the help, I'll be sure to resort to that if all else fails, but does anyone know a way to just fix the computer?

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:38 PM

Next time you turn the computer on listen to it closely an see if it is clicking (like a clock). If so, your hard drive is failing. If not you might just have something corrupt in Windows

Get your data off as recommended first. While you still have a chance.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 respectedprophet

respectedprophet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:26 PM

all right, i'm in the process of making a slave drive on a different computer to recover my data, but what do i do next? is my computer finished, because i have school starting thursday and as a high school senior, i'll be writing a good number of essaies

#11 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:49 PM

if your harddrive shows on the different computer as a slave and you can access your files, etc, then i would back everything up you want to save.

then start, run, cmd, and on the screen prompt type cd *:\

substitute * for whatever your drive is called d:\. e:\, or whatever.

then type chkdsk /f /r and enter.

if all that goes well and your important data is saved, then try your drive back on your own computer (remember to change the jumper from slave to master). this time, if windows still will not boot, i would try to re-install from the xp disk. if the hd worked ok as a slave, but will not boot or re-install when back in your own computer, doublecheck all internal connections, and i would also check your ram with memtest.

if your hd isnt recognized as a slave on your different computer (remember to change jumper setting to slave) then i think your drive is toast. you could maybe try a linux programme like 'gparted' from sourceforge.net and see if it will recognize your hd. if so you may be able to retrieve your data that way.

good luck

#12 GToledo

GToledo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:39 PM

I assume this is a desktop. It could be a bad monitor, since the screen remains black. If after moving your HD to another PC as a slave and you get your data, it means the HD is ok. Try borrowing a monitor and hooking it up and see what happens.

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:47 PM

Does the boot process start - does the bios post?

Do you hear the fans running when you turn the computer on?

#14 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:23 PM

To the previous posters: there is a blinking cursor, so it's not likely to be the monitor. It's not giving a BIOS message about a bad hard drive or operating system not found.

Sounds more like a BIOS problem or a video card problem. Could be a boot sector virus.

Check this out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users