Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Stand My Compaq Anymore! Want To Rebuild

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hikerdave

hikerdave

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:00 PM

:thumbsup: Hello, this looks like a cool website. I own a Compaq Presario 5000 desktop computer (number on side of case 5BW284) serial# 9044FPM9M229. I purchased in 2000. I don't think I can handle the low power and slowness anymore, so I want to rebuild. This is what I want to do. I have already started research and I think I will buy from Newegg.

I want to replace:

CPU
video card
sound card
motherboard
power supply
memory modules (RAM)
computer case and cooling fans

I want to keep from old PC:

hard drive (IDE)
compaq DV-5700B DVD-ROM drive
Philips CDD4801 CD-R/RW drive
3.5 floppy disk drive
compaq IJ600 inkjet printer
compaq FS740 color monitor
PCTEL platinum V.90 56K modem (yes, I still use dial-up)

Can I do this-in other words would the new components be backward compatible to the old parts I want to keep?

Also, since I am transferring the old hard drive to a new machine, would I have any trouble using the Windows XP operating system on a new and second machine?

Thanks very much,
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:49 AM

First of all, Windows. The version of Windows that came with your Compaq computer originally was a OEM version, and the license for it states that it is not transferrable to a new computer. It was sold to be used on one computer only. Microsoft even can claim that a different motherboard can constitute a 'new' computer. So, transferring the hard drive over to your new computer is going against the agreement with Microsoft, and quite possibly Windows will stop working after 30 days.

As far as using used hardware in a new computer, I can't stress strongly enough to avoid it! It is worth the extra money to buy all new if at all possible. You will avoid all kinds of issues by going with new.

If you like Newegg, set up an account with them, then you can create a wish list of the hardware you are interested in buying. Make this wish list public. Then post a link here to the wish list and we can review it. But one thing - don't do this until you are actually ready to purchase. Because if you choose items, say, two or three months before you purchase, then items will change, become out of stock etc and you will have to do the list all over again when it actually comes time to purchase.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:34 AM

While I agree with Albert on using new hardware in a new machine, I know that cash flow may be a problem.

If you're going to reuse some of the components - don't reuse the major ones. If they fail, your system is hosed!

But, to save a bit of money, you can use the one's that aren't critical to the system operatiing (like CD/DVD/Floppy drives). A failure there just means having to go out and get another. Just remember that eventually you'll have to replace them anyway.

FYI - Until recently I was using a floppy drive from a Packard-Bell 100 mHz Pentium system that I'd recycled for years. When it finally failed on me I didn't have a clue as to what had gone wrong (since it'd been so long since I thought about it). Be careful!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 hikerdave

hikerdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:19 PM

Thanks to both of for your input. Regarding the transfer of the Windows XP Pro system to another computer. I purchased the OS separate. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to transfer this OS to another PC I might build as long as I am not making copies or engaging in piracy, After all, I paid for it. That Microsoft policy means nothing to me, and I am even told that Microsoft will tell me how to transfer it to another machine if I insist on it.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I get upset when a multi billion company tells me that I have to buy the same product twice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users