Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Modular Bay Not Detected"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Landulph

Landulph

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:30 PM

A couple of days ago, my Dell Latitude D520 (running Windows XP) displayed this message immediately upon startup on a grey background:

"The Device in the system modular bay cannot be identified. It may not be completely inserted or may have some other problem. Please read and complete the following steps in order:

1) Press the device completely and firmly into the bay.
2) Power off the system.
3) Press the power button to retry detecting the device.

Press ESC to ignore error and continue."

I pressed ESC, and upon booting into Windows, found that my DVD-ROM (Drive D:) was not listed at all under MyComputer. I removed the DVD drive from the modular bay and reinserted it, upon which the computer detected it, identified it, said "Your Hardware is Ready for Use", etc. With one major problem: the DVD drive is only in PIO transmission mode now--it will not go to DMA, which means DVDs produce stuttering, skipping, etc. The error message above is displayed upon startup every time now, so I must remove and reinsert the drive again in Windows, only to have it always default to PIO mode. System restore did nothing. Is the DVD-ROM drive failing? If so, I'll get a new one for about $50--this one came brand-new with the laptop, so I got my money's worth! First, I want to know whether this would in fact accomplish anything, whether there's not something going on with the mobo, etc. Is there any diagnostic test to find this out for certain? I can't think of any recent changes that could have caused this.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:12 AM

From doing a google this error is a common Dell problem. For the DMA/PIO mode problem XP should be at SP3. If it is then download and run the vbs script file on this page.

http://winhlp.com/node/10?cl=1

On one of the links from the google search there is a BIOS setting to disable the error but one person reported a boot loop after changing the setting.

#3 Landulph

Landulph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:37 PM

I ran the VBS script, to no effect. I don't think this is quite the problem here--I've had the DMA/PIO stepdown before (from scratched DVDs), and solved it simply by Uninstalling the secondary IDE port in device manager and rebooting, whereupon Windows immediately recognizes the DVD Rom drive again and DMA is back. This problem begins in the BIOS immediately upon startup--whether from a software or hardware problem (and if the latter, with the drive or mobo, etc) is what I'm trying to find out.

BTW, I notice that in the Bios, "Modular Bay Device" is set to "None" ("80 GB HDD" is set to "Auto"). Is this BIOS setting a cause of the DVD-ROM's dysfunction, or it's result. (Interestingly, even before getting into the BIOS menu, the "Modular Bay not Identified" gray screen popped up.)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:42 AM

I am not sure. It is possible to enable Module Bay Device in BIOS? Some posters replied that the error was resolved with a new DVD drive. 

If you tap F12 at boot does it bring up a hardware diagnostic menu? If not see this page.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN114988

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users