Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autoruns Results

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mrsstetz

mrsstetz

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:49 PM

On a few of the startup listings listed by Autoruns, the Image Path column says "file not found" or "file not found: \windows\system32\drivers\(specific file name)"

I am assuming if the file cannot be found that is is ok to uncheck the box because it should not be running on start up (since it probably can't run at all). But we all know what happens when you assume. . . so is it ok to disable on start up these "missing" files??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:28 PM

Can you give me an example of some of the files that cant be found?

#3 mrsstetz

mrsstetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:48 PM

Ok. . . when I run "Autoruns" these are the files missing. (I've copied and pasted them from the first screen you see after running the program - the 'everything' tab).

PrinTray File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\printray.exe

Display Panning CPL Extension File not found: deskpan.dll

HyperTerminal Icon Ext File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\hticons.dll

Previous Versions File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\twext.dll

Previous Versions Property Page File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\twext.dll

@shdoclc.dll,-864 File not found: C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm

intelppm File not found: System32\DRIVERS\intelppm.sys

ip6fwProvides intrusion prevention service for a home or small office network. File not found: system32\drivers\ip6fw.sys

LXARScan File not found: System32\Drivers\Lxarscan.sys

wanatw File not found: System32\DRIVERS\wanatw4.sys

Incidentally, I can't get Service Pack 2 to install or get Windows Media Player 10 to install on my computer (I've posted in the Windows XP forum looking for help =).
Could any of this be responsible??

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:43 PM

Many of these are legitimate system files. Strange that they are gone. Have you actually looked for the files and could not find them?

#5 mrsstetz

mrsstetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:05 PM

No, I didn't search the files. I didn't have a chance. . .it makes sense that they were missing. . . now

my problem with installing SP2 came to a head two days ago. I was in contact with Dell Support. They said my Windows XP needed to be repaired and had me try to install a 'repair' to XP from my original disc. It was a complete disaster. When I would turn on my computer it would hang up and I couldn't even get on to Windows at all. The service tech thought my hard drive may have had a bad sector. I ended up doing a complete reformat (losing lots of stuff I was too lazy to have backed up!!) about 2 hours ago.

The good news is that my computer is functioning again.
The bad news is that all the neat stuff I had on my computer that I learned about on bleepingcomputer (like WinPatrol, PC-cillin, spy-bot, etc.) is all gone.

If I had Autoruns installed I'd run it and check those files. But I'd bet they're there now. I have a lot of work to do getting my SP2 downloaded and installed (hopefully).

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:27 PM

Ok this makes sense then. Good luck with the rebuilding ... i know its a pita, but in the end your machine will run that much better with a reformat here and there :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users