Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black login screen windows server 2012 R2, KSOD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rom4ster

rom4ster

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:52 AM

Ok first quick note, i played on a minecraft server and their forum used this exact same provider LOL

Ok now heres the problem. 

So i was restarting my computer and it was taking too long, and as such, I used the power switch to turn it off. I know, I know, bad idea, BUT I actually do this often and usually it just messes up the boot record and thats an easy fix. This time I get a perfect boot but the login screen is black. Sometimes the ethernet symbol flashes but its black. CTRL ALT DEL does not work. Safe mode does not work. This looks like a common problem called the KSOD. So what I did was fix the boot record (just in case) and I also tried to manually fix the registry by going to the winlogon place and setting the shell value to explorer.exe. The problem is that the value keeps changing back to cmd.exe /k start cmd.exe. I am going to check on the value of userInit. If I can't get a solution im going to try and do a reapair install. I know RDPing can help but I can't do that. Anyone have any idea of how to fix this?

ALSO: I had a nanocore backdoor that I removed from my computer right before restarting.

OS 

Windows Server 2012 R2

Graphics:

GTX 1080

GTX 970 

Processor:

Intel 5280k 

Hard Drive:

240 GB SSD

2TB HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:34 AM

Not sure where to begin on this. Are you using Server 2012 as a desktop too? I noticed you have some beefy video cards installed. Is that for dual monitor setup or sli? What's going on there? Since it is a server OS many services are loading during boot and the drivers and video card software is hanging. That or a corrupt profile maybe. When you have larger user profiles they load really slow. Especially on a OS that is basically designed to be stripped down and do server roles. A firewall can also create havoc on things. Try disabling the firewall. Try creating a new user and or switching users and see if you can replicate the problem. You might be able to temporarily get around it by opening task manager ctrl alt del & restart explorer.exe Whatever it is it's the video card causing it. Run drivers only don't install software suites for the video card. Keep everything down to a basic level.

#3 rom4ster

rom4ster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:12 AM

So yeah I cant. I built my Desktop and got server as os for it. I can't do any of what you say because it does not work. All I can do is edit the registry, and other recovery things. Literally the login screen is black. The wrong shell is being loaded thats true, but everytime i change the reg value, it changes back. 

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:32 AM

Have you tried going into safe mode? From there maybe create a batch to change the registry setting and tie it into a service, startup or a task.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:35 AM

Oh forgot, try disabling UAC if & when you can get into proper shell.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:07 AM

Have you tried tapping F8 or shift+F8 during boot? I forgot that if you can get into a winre cli you can copy regback to the config. Something like this with D: being C: since it is winre....

D:
CD \windows\system32\config\regback
copy/y *.* ..

Once back into windows explorer I would make the changes to the registry and then copy from config back to regback. Just for giggles.

You should scour the net and see if there is a KB fix for this.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:25 AM

Oh as a side note, I read on Experts Exchange that installing certain types of AD roles will change the way everything works. When you think about that it makes total sense. You're on a server OS, so adding roles is going to change the way winlogon shell functions. You may have to rethink all that and go back to your server management and uninstall server roles that might be causing all this.

#8 rom4ster

rom4ster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:27 AM

Ok so good point on the AD stuff. That might change the shell. I installed some AD crap long ago. I've tried everything you suggested that was possible. So heres the deal. Shift F8 yeah, that works. Last known good config, nope, safmode, nope still get black screen. i've tried loading a backup registry, to no avail. I read that a good solution was to RDP into the machine and then do a non destructive install of windows. Im gonna see if I can get that working but in the mean time is there anything else I can do. Normally this thing just fails to boot, which is easy to fix but this problem is apparently worse. I hate this OS, it is the most unstable crap I have seen

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:27 AM

Well I heard that there is a KB fix for it, but not sure. That's not a lot of help if you cannot get in. Has this been an ongoing thing or did it just happen out of the blue? It could be a MSFT update causing it. As far as a using RDP yes that is a good solution to get in. There is nothing else I can think of. No screen = no fun. I guess the only other option is to blow it away and start over. Be weary about all the updates & server roles. Before doing any of that create a restore point and clone backup.

Edited by technonymous, 14 October 2016 - 06:27 AM.

#10 rom4ster

rom4ster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:51 AM

Ok i bought a router and RDPd this is resolved

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members