Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SQL backup automation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TinoNgombo

TinoNgombo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:13 AM

Hi, pros.

I got a project to implement: SQL backup automation for a production environment.

How can I automate these backups, since we're talking about a high-end database?

Note: I would like to have a regular/daily backup schedule (e.g. 11am, everyday).

Any help is appreciated :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:21 AM

Hi,

Specifying the exact SQL server version is important because not all of them include the backup feature or is done in a different way.

http://solutioncenter.apexsql.com/how-to-create-a-sql-server-scheduled-backup/

I think recent SQL's have a wizard that can help you create a backup task for the SQL Server Agent.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 TinoNgombo

TinoNgombo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:37 AM

Thanks, sir.

For the record, it's SQL Server 2012, running on a virtualized Windows Server 2012 R2 box.

#4 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:54 AM

Hi, pros.

I got a project to implement: SQL backup automation for a production environment.

How can I automate these backups, since we're talking about a high-end database?

Note: I would like to have a regular/daily backup schedule (e.g. 11am, everyday).

Any help is appreciated :)

I would look at a comprehensive granular backup solution that supports VSS aware applications. Hybrid cloud technology is what you want. 

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:54 PM

Thanks, sir.

For the record, it's SQL Server 2012, running on a virtualized Windows Server 2012 R2 box.

I would look at Veeam mate, it would also allow you to remount the data base or back it up manually if you wanted to + it also backs up the whole server at the same time and transaction logs.

either that or create a maintenance task in sql its self mate.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 12 October 2016 - 04:56 PM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:24 PM

+2 for Veeam

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +