Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service Packs? Rollups? Updates for October

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:10 AM

Anyone on this board understand today's October Windows Updates, and how to know the "kernel mode driver" to find and install, and the way to choose service packs and rollups discussed on wu.krelay.de/en  ?   Too, too, too, confusing.  I have no idea what will and won't work in Windows Vista.  Most of the listed updates on the krelay page are for Windows 7; and he only suggests two KB's for Vista.  

If anyone really knows what's going on and how to know what where to choose, tell us all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:16 AM

It's my understanding you will not longer be able to download these separate Kernel updates starting with the October updates. All fixes and security updates are in one rollup. I had to download the separate Security Update on the Windows Update Catalog site. I also needed to download the .NET rollups.

Currently I have Updates set to Notify but do not install. I also manually checked for updates and the my CPU went to 50% and was forever searching without offering an update. If fact my CPU is currently at 50% because it's searching for updates.My advise is to either install the rollups manually or wait and hope your computer downloads or offers them through WU. To stop this constant CPU usage I have to disable Windows Updates. It truly sucks. I never had this problem with linux updates. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users