Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP PRO continuously "losing" files required to boot.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 midnightdreams

midnightdreams

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:07 AM

Disclaimer:

If I am not in the correct place, please bump and I ask your forgiveness for messing up your day with an ill-placed post. 

Hello and thank you in advance for being able to assist in any way with this issue. 

I have a very old machine. It's a Compaq SR1503WM, all OEM hardware. I received it from the owner that bought it from the store. I didn't have it long before I got an error message about the hal.dll file missing. I fixed that issue. It is just a machine I use to put some light emulators on for classic roms. It has no internet, not even a wireless card. (I'm saying this to assist you in ascertaining that this is NOT a virus, malware, spyware, adware, ect) 

It was running fine until it suddenly began restarting, booting, being on Win Xp for about one minute, then doing it all over again. I gave it a hard shut down to stop the loop and restarted. At this point, the fans would rev, then slow (no bios noises) and the light on the front with flash 6 times, rest, 6 times, rest, ect. At this point I cracked the case, checked my seating, heat syncs, reseated everything, and removed a stick of ram that I had put in it at first (which worked at that time) when I received it. After reseating and removing the newer stick of ram, it would come on, at least, but it came up to a message that windows could not start because I was missing my windows/system32 files. 

I know that was a long preamble to my question, please forgive. My question is...is there a problem in my operating system, or is there a problem in the drive or bios? I don't understand why a clean machine with no internet access keeps giving me this problem at random intervals. This is the third time!

Any information would be most appreciated. I'm at my wit's end. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:20 AM

Even though it's not connected to the internet, it can still be infected.

But, I think that you might have a hardware problem and would suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

While waiting for a reply over there, start with these free, bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

If they find that there isn't a hardware problem, then it looks like you'll need to reinstall Windows XP.  You can get assistance for that in the XP forums:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/56/windows-xp-home-and-professional/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users