Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Google account hacks

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:59 PM

I've had my Google account hacked two times in the last five months I figured they might have accessed my Google account by spoofing my cell phone number so I changed it and my recovery email as well.

And its strange I use really elaborate passwords to.

Have any of you experienced this problem before?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

enable 2 factors on your account is what i would suggest.

They probably brute-force or dictionary hack your password.

make sure your gmail not the same password as another item such as the pw for your credit card account or something. Make them more complex as possible (letters, numbers, symbols) and long.

the password "password" would be easier to get into them the password "passwordpasswordpasswordpassword" for example if they use a robot to try to get into your account.

Edited by MasterNe0, 12 October 2016 - 03:34 PM.

#3 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:37 PM

I've had my Google account hacked two times in the last five months I figured they might have accessed my Google account by spoofing my cell phone number so I changed it and my recovery email as well.

And its strange I use really elaborate passwords to.

Have any of you experienced this problem before?

This is someone who knows you and your things. This is not a stranger.

Besides, you get always message or email or notice, when someone is trying to access your account. There is time, place, used browser etc. 

Edited by kaljukass, 12 October 2016 - 03:40 PM.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:49 PM

Sounds like you have trojan sitting there keylogging everything you do.

isnt it hard to run dictionary attacks on google these days, i thought after 3 goes from any proxy IP it would lock the account?

i dont use gmail because i cant stand googles company practices (They know everything about you and stole Unix code to create Android) so i couldn't be sure on that.

#5 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:15 PM

Agreed kaljukass and the only person I can think of who had access to my Google account back in May was this guy from my local cellular store when I upgraded from the Galaxy S4 to S5. I suppose that a keylogger is also possible JohnnyJammer, Thats why I moved all my files from my laptop to my desktop and changed my Google password and secondary email password as well.

Edited by SuperSapien64, 12 October 2016 - 05:16 PM.

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:47 PM

Sounds like you have trojan sitting there keylogging everything you do.

This is the most likely cause.

This is someone who knows you and your things. This is not a stranger.

How do you know that from the available information?

#7 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:30 PM

Whats really strange Gorbulan is that my laptop is running Linux. But I installed Bitdefender on it and it wasn't working correctly so I went to another forum where someone extracted I working file for BD from a virtual machine and installed that maybe thats where the Trojan came from.

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:35 PM

Could be. If you suspect malware on your machine, then head over to the "Am I Infected" section of the forum. For right now, secure your accounts. Using another computer you know is clean setup two-factor authentication, new passwords, and maybe change the backup email addresses.

Edited by Gorbulan, 12 October 2016 - 06:35 PM.

#9 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:08 PM

Using another computer you know is clean setup two-factor authentication, new passwords, and maybe change the backup email addresses.

I use K9 Mail on Android and I use Thunderbird on my desktop/laptop so I don't know if two-factor authentication would work especially with K9 Mail and I already changed the password for my backup email addresses including my Gmail account (note: I did all of this on a clean computer).

#10 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:44 AM

two factors will with gmail.

you can go into google my account settingsl and have it generate you a unique password for both k9 and thunderbird to setup your email on those two apps and any other devices that needs access to your google account. So instead of using your regular password, it uses a complex auto-generated password which is needed to access your google/gmail account.

Only issue with it is sometimes with certain older apps it doesn't work that well but beyond that, it at least one security measure.

I have the google authenicator which i use with gmail on my android samsung phone which works and also you can setup so if you don't want to use the authenicator, you can do text messaging to your phone directly for vertification.

Edited by MasterNe0, 13 October 2016 - 10:47 AM.

#11 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:09 AM

I don't think K9 Mail is compatible with two factor authentication Thunderbird might be but I don't believe K9 Mail is.

#12 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:40 PM

My Google account was hacked again. :( :angry: Its been six months since it was last hacked and I changed my phone number, and if the blackhat was hacking my other Google accounts I would get a text message warning me about the hack. But for some reason this jerk wants my smartphone Gmail/Google account. I'm sure my Linux Mint desktop is secure but maybe theres something on my phone. But if there was anything on my phone than I why wait half a year latter why not hack sooner?

#13 PaleChristopher

PaleChristopher

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:52 PM

My Google account was hacked again. :( :angry: Its been six months since it was last hacked and I changed my phone number, and if the blackhat was hacking my other Google accounts I would get a text message warning me about the hack. But for some reason this jerk wants my smartphone Gmail/Google account. I'm sure my Linux Mint desktop is secure but maybe theres something on my phone. But if there was anything on my phone than I why wait half a year latter why not hack sooner?

Have you tried maybe switching Google accounts? And if you have not already you might wanna check your Google account's security settings.

#14 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:04 PM

Have you tried maybe switching Google accounts? And if you have not already you might wanna check your Google account's security settings.

No I'm not switching Google accounts because I have things stored on the account. And yes my Android phone gave me a prompt from Google security settings and opened it and I denied the hacker access to my account and I changed my password.

#15 PaleChristopher

PaleChristopher

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:35 PM

No I'm not switching Google accounts because I have things stored on the account. And yes my Android phone gave me a prompt from Google security settings and opened it and I denied the hacker access to my account and I changed my password.

From what you've described, it sounds like a possible infection of your Android device. You should consider bringing it in to an expert or contacting your manufacturer. Adding additional security settings might make it harder for whoever tries to access your accounts but the does not solve the core problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users