Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Configuration Data got corrupted

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 toasterbot

toasterbot

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:21 PM

When I try to boot my Lenovo Flex 3-1580, Windows 10-64bit, I get the following BSOD: "The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc0000034"

I haven't been able to get it to try booting from a USB, but I did try reinstalling Windows. That failed when it told me to restart and it went back this issue.

When I tried to find solutions online, they all assumed the computer could boot, so were useless.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:33 PM

Hi toasterbot,

It's not an uncommon issue mate, and not that hard to fix. You will need to boot from your Windows disk to fix it .

• Boot your computer using Windows installation media
  • Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
  • Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
  • Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
  • Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.
  • Click on command Prompt.
  • Type these following commands one at a time and hit enter after each line of command:
Bootrec /fixmbr
Bootrec /fixboot
Bootrec /scanos
Bootrec /rebuildbcd
shutdown -s

After about a minute after the last command your machine will shutdown. You can remove the Windows media now.

Restart your machine.

Is your issue resolved?

TsVk!

Edited by TsVk!, 11 October 2016 - 07:42 PM.

#3 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:39 PM

I tried your advice and it nearly worked. After running "Bootrec /rebuildbcd" I was asked if I wanted to add the installation of Windows (on C) to the boot list. I said yes ("Y"), but then it said

"The requested system device cannot be found."

which makes no sense. Any ideas? Thank you!

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:52 PM

Ok, this isn't that uncommon either unfortunately.

boot back to your command prompt on the disk, then enter

bcdboot c:\Windows
Bootrec /scanos
Bootrec /rebuildbcd

Works now?

#5 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:58 PM

I got a "Failure when attempting to copy boot files." after running "bcdboot c:\Windows"

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:09 PM

I don't want to misdirect you here. I am not highly experienced with new boot partitions.

I believe your answer is AKIRA's answer on this page

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-update/error-code-0xc0000034-in-windows-8-boot/15e63631-1f94-473f-83a8-8d7af48a83f7?page=7

check out Zookomt's reply down the bottom of the page also.

I hope this helps.

#7 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:29 PM

Running their code carefully, I got to "bcdboot c:\Windows /s b: /f ALL" to get

"BFSVC Error: BcdOpenSystemStore failed with unexpected error code, Status = [c000015c]"

I swear my computer must be haunted. Any idea what this means? I honestly appreciate your persistence!

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:37 PM

Sadly I haven't looked a lot at this type of boot system (I'm still running Win7 on my network), I am reluctant to give any further advice in case it causes further issues.

I will message someone I know who has more knowledge than me about this, hopefully they can assist you better.

Meanwhile there may be someone else who knows the answer...

TsVk!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:38 AM

TsVk! covered every command I would have used. This sounds like the Windows partition itself is corrupted. Following the commands in post #2 to get a command prompt type the following commands.

diskpart

list volume

Post the output

Edit: Follow the steps in the below link. It's for repairing a Windows 8 EFI partition but the same holds for Windows 10. The steps are essentially everything you have done with the exception of assigning a letter to your FAT32 EFI partition and changing the path to the Boot dir on the EFI.

http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/12/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-in-windows-8/

If the steps do not solve the problem and you wish to do a clean install I can provide instructions on preparing the disk using diskpart and a guide for a clean install but it may be a good idea to check the hard drive for failure.

If the computer has SecureBoot it may have to be disabled in order to boot the UBCD. Burn the UBCD to a CD and at the menu screen select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic desktop click on Disk Health. Do the short and long tests. You can create a bootable USB flash drive with Rufus

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 October 2016 - 09:04 AM.

#10 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:26 PM

Thank you TsVk! and JohnC_21!

After running the solution at "fixed by vonnie", everything just worked! You guys are awesome.

Again, thank you

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:33 PM

Nice. I had that site bookmarked  and I didn't want to reinvent the wheel by going through all the steps again. Kudos to vonnie for posting the EFI repair fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users