Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing new SSD in Windows 10 Laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 E-Guilty81

E-Guilty81

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:45 PM

Wondering if anyone has any tips/hints/tricks on installing a new SSD in my laptop.  Replacing the old HDD to get a performance boost.  I am running Windows 10 which is already digitally activated.  My main question is will I have to buy a new license due to "Hardware changes" or can I clone the drive and avoid doing a clean install and re-activation?  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:11 PM

You won't require license key, it only sometimes requires that if you do a motherboard swap.

Most computers will just accept a cloned SSD straight off the bat. The only advice I can give is that if possible do a 1:1 clone, and then resize your partitions afterwards if necessary. If you have to do a logical clone because your source disk is larger, so be it. That still works just fine in most cases.

Try it, most likely you will have no problems. It's pretty straight forward.

#3 E-Guilty81

E-Guilty81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the advice.  Wondering if you recommend a certain program to use for the cloning? Read about a couple but have never gone through the process myself before.  Appreciate it

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:10 PM

I use Acronis True Image. You can continue to use the live clone disk after the network backup trial expires. :thumbup2:

Other popular solutions include Macrium Reflect and Paragon.

#5 E-Guilty81

E-Guilty81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:19 PM

Sounds like a plan.  I was told Clonezilla, but honestly you are a much more reliable source and I'm going with your recommendation lol.  Thanks alot

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:38 PM

I use Clonezilla also for network cloning. But as it's Linux based and slightly advanced I wouldn't recommend it for a first timer, it's unduly complicated for your purposes.

#7 E-Guilty81

E-Guilty81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:51 PM

Well thats good to know.  Dont want to screw it up so for sure if you think a first timer should start with the other programs, thats what I'm going with.  Really appreciate all the help and advice.  Thanks

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:52 PM

You're welcome. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users