Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yet Another New(bie) Build, Hardware Compatibility Thread; AMD A10-7860K APU

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ferengi

Ferengi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:07 PM

Hi All - Doing a low-end, budget, non-gaming, Linux rig here.  I've been considering the parts listed   below, but, I'm a bit apprehensive, thinking the processor and/or motherboard won't be happy with even  the most current Linux distros (as of 10/11/16) So, I'm seeking any helpful advice that might keep me  from making ignorant mistakes. It would be even cooler if it helps others that may be considering a similar system build too :)

GOAL: To go with relatively new (current) components that are old enough to have good Linux support  (for a good works-out-of-the-box experience), while staying under budget. Budget == around $300 considering the parts being added (CPU+MOBO+MEMORY+SSD).  The budget would probably need to be bumped to consider  current Intel CPU/MOBO :/

##### Parts being added
CPU:
AMD A10-7860K Black Edition A10-Series APU Processors with Radeon R7 Graphics   (A10-7860K-AD786KYBJCSBX)

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-F2A88X-D3HP (rev. 1.0) FM2+ AMD A88X
   (Bolton D4) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Memory (8GB):
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
   (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

SSD (mainly for OS):
Samsung 750 EVO - 250GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-750250BW)

##########

Planned use: A home desktop computer to primarily render web pages fast via Firefox, Chrome, etc.; Run  a lightweight/light-use local web server; Host an occasional VirtualBox VM; And handle some sometimes intensive number crunching via homegrown software.  May eventually be used for media center duty - via digital audio (SPDIF) as well as HDMI (TV); Nothing mission-critical so, occasional performance hits are tolerable.  No gaming or intensive graphics so, no additional GPU needed (at least initially).

I already have the case, power supply, and hard drives since the trigger for this upgrade is that my   old mobo recently crashed and burned... RIP, MSI K8N-NEO4-F.

######## Parts already in place:
Case:
ThermalTake tower case (full ATX form factor)

PSU:
(brand new) CORSAIR CX430 430W 80 PLUS BRONZE Active PFC ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply

Hard Drives:
(2) WD 500GB Caviar Black drives (software RAID 0 config)

##################

Hope this isn't too boring for y'all... I'm still having fun anyway :)

Cheers! ... and Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 11 October 2016 - 05:17 PM.
Moved from Linux to System Building - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:28 PM

No linux should play nice with all the parts you listed.

Just because something has a windows logo slapped on the side doesnt mean it wont work with linux.

I see nothing really that will upset a linux install, even using AMD open drivers should work okay.

Edited by MadmanRB, 11 October 2016 - 08:29 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:45 PM

I don't see any issues using Linux with the hardware info you have provided! I like Linux Mint 18,although a lot of people on here still use 17.2 or 17.3 . There are many distros which would work well for you.Did you have a particular Distro in mind?

Edited by paul88ks, 11 October 2016 - 08:51 PM.

#4 Ferengi

Ferengi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:04 AM

Thank you for the kind replies, "MadmanRB" and "paul88ks".

Sorry for the slow ack.  I'm a new member and I kinda lost track of my transplanted post (Linux & Unix -> System Building and Upgrading)... didn't fool me for a minute... well, not a whole minute anyway :)  Indeed, this is probably the more appropriate forum for the post.

I'm glad to hear there should be no show stoppers with my component picks (Linux-wise) ... your replies have given me the confidence boost that I needed ... time to start clicking "buy" buttons :)

paul88ks asked: "Did you have a particular Distro in mind?"

I think my distro choice of the moment is Ubuntu Mate 16.04.  I was test driving it in a VM at the time my oldish MSI mobo took up smoking (not healthy for a mobo).  I also use Scientific Linux 6.8 (32-bit) on an even older desktop PC.  I like both distros.  Who knows, I may take Mint for a spin too... or Arch as a rolling release perhaps.  It's great having such choices :)

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:07 AM

Ubuntu Mate is a fantastic distro, great choice!

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:28 PM

I use Ubuntu Mate on an old laptop.Great OS.

#7 Ferengi

Ferengi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 07:09 PM

Just a quick followup on this build:

Finally got to doing it.  Put it all together... it POSTed fine (always a good sign)... plugged in a USB thumb drive containing Ubuntu Mate 16.04...  tweaked the BIOS to ensure a UEFI install.. it properly detected my USB keyboard and mouse, and Viewsonic monitor... it installed sooo smoothly with no issues... Ubuntu Mate really flies  on this system :)

Thanks again for the replies.  Your comments were right on!!!

Peace.

P.S. Oh, I neglected to list one part... an inexpensive bracket to adapt the 2.5" SSD to a 3.5" drive bay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users