Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

free OFFICE type software

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 soimcrazy

soimcrazy

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:03 PM

Is there a free OFFICE type of software available?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:07 PM

There are many. I use WPS Suite. 

some people use OpenOffice, and some use LibreOffice.

there are more but here are the few that i mentioned: 

https://www.wps.com/

https://www.openoffice.org/

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:18 PM

Another good free alternative is Softmaker FreeOffice.

http://www.freeoffice.com/en

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:20 PM

I've used Open Office and Libre Office...IMO, the best approach is to install any that you are interested in and play with them for awhile...then delete the ones which don't fit to your satisfaction.  With many apps, it's not so much that one is "better" than the other...it's just that each of us has personal preferences and this manifests itself in the software we choose to install and keep on the system.

Louis

#5 soimcrazy

soimcrazy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:47 PM

any of them offer envelope printing?

#6 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:50 PM

any of them offer envelope printing?

Depends on what type of envelope. 

most of them will have templates for that.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,330 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:51 PM

If you don't find a template in one of the freeware office suites there is always: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/envelope-printer/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 991 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:42 PM

I've used Open Office and Libre Office...IMO, the best approach is to install any that you are interested in and play with them for awhile...then delete the ones which don't fit to your satisfaction.  With many apps, it's not so much that one is "better" than the other...it's just that each of us has personal preferences and this manifests itself in the software we choose to install and keep on the system.

Louis

You mean, the alternative software does what you need done or does not do so.  I too did try LibreOffice just recently.  Not too good because Calc (spreasheet program) does not format dates the way I want, and It will not interplay well between MS Works Spreadsheet documents.  Also XLS file made in Calc does not open in MS Works spreadsheet.  Time to check a different alternative.

Two separate programs NOT part of "suite" of any kind, are Jarte (wordprocessor) and Gnumeric (spreadsheet application).  The trouble with Gnumeric is the dialogs for opening and saving files.  Too hard to make one's way through and find what you need.  Also restrictive file format information and choices.

I hope to find some spreadsheet application alternative at least as reliable as MS Works has.  Hopefully as part of a suite, but individual is good.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 11:26 AM

Look at WPS office or Softmaker FreeOffice. I found that LibreOffice opened my old Works spreadsheets fairly well but they were not complicated spreadsheets. WPS and Softmaker does not open Works spreadsheets if you are talking about spreadsheets with the WKS extension.

#10 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 991 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 03:42 PM

Look at WPS office or Softmaker FreeOffice. I found that LibreOffice opened my old Works spreadsheets fairly well but they were not complicated spreadsheets. WPS and Softmaker does not open Works spreadsheets if you are talking about spreadsheets with the WKS extension.

Right.  The WKS extension is only what MS Works Spreadsheet application uses as its default.  I might be wrong on that, since all of mine have become XLR.  XLR is an extension only for Works spreadsheet application.  Libre Office's Calc will open XLR but Calc has no such XLR extension for saving a file.  It does have XLS and XLXS which are both extensions for Excel.  Still, I do not like Libre Office Calc because of POOR Help documentation, not handling format for dates, and mostly finding what I want through the menus to be difficult.  Also, when I tried to handle an XLS document saved in Calc, in MS Works spreadhseet program, Works got stuck and stayed that way until I closed it.  

#11 Webdeveloper

Webdeveloper

• Banned Spammer
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 12:44 AM

If you want to use a free office software, then you can use the open Apache Office. I have used the open office and it is very easy to use.It is also a good alternative for Microsoft Word. Following is the list of free office softwares, but you can use the one that satisfy your requirements:

AbiWord

Jarte

Neo Office

Apache OpenOffice

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:27 AM

The problem with Open Office is the project is close to shutting down. Libre Office is a fork of Open Office and is constantly being updated and improved.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/09/openoffice-could-shut-down-developer-warns

#13 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 991 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:52 PM

The problem with Open Office is the project is close to shutting down. Libre Office is a fork of Open Office and is constantly being updated and improved.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/09/openoffice-could-shut-down-developer-warns

The date-formatting trouble with Libre Office was so difficult that a user may want a different application.  Libre Office WILL NOT let you make a format of mm/dd/yyyy.  

If a package enforces file type associations upon install and gives you no choice about it, such as what WPS office does, then you might want to try a different package.

My opinion right now, but still developing, is that Free Office, and Apache Open Office, are the better choices to first try.  Also one of my long time favorites for just a separate word processor is Jarte.  Just be aware, not all aspects of a file will be completely compatable between MS Word and Jarte, but it might be good enough for you.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2016 - 11:34 PM

The date-formatting trouble with Libre Office was so difficult that a user may want a different application. Libre Office WILL NOT let you make a format of mm/dd/yyyy.

Are you talking about LibreOffice Calc. I do not understand why you say it cannot format mm/dd/yy

date.jpg

Edit: File Associations for programs can be changed within Windows.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-associate-file-type-or-protocol-program

During the install Libre Office asks if you want to associate Office Documents i.e. Word, Excel, Visio, and Presentation with it. If already installed you can go to control panel, select Uninstall > Change > Modify and go through the steps to disassociate the file extensions.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 November 2016 - 11:48 PM.

#15 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 991 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:28 AM

JohnC_21,

I see what you are showing me about the date formatting for Libre Office (yes, for Calc), and I DID try that BUT IT FAILED REPEATEDLY!  Absolute failure!  I decided to uninstall Libre Office for this reason, and I've been able to get the date-formatting I want, although a little bit increased number of steps, through the spreadsheeting programs in Apache Open Office, and in Free Office.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users