Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Specific DVD will not play in VLC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

• Members
  • 2,909 posts
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:22 PM

This might be better in the video/audio forum but it also concerns DVD discs and hardware. I don't know whether the problem is with VLC, the disc in question, the drive or something else.

This all relates to things I've done while booted into windows 8.1 , but I can't think that booting in linux mint would give me any better luck playing this DVD although I've yet to have chance to test that.

Ok, the facts are as follows:
I use an external USB connectable CD/DVD reader/writer drive as my optical drive ever since my internal one died a physical death (part fell off and there is no practical way to re-attach it). The external optical drive works just as well as the internal one did. I use it in just the same way as I used the internal one, writing backups to CD discs and playing movie DVDs. When I play films on DVD I use VLC, it has worked fine in the past and still works fine for most discs except a specific one.

I know it's not something wrong in general with VLC or any of my hardware, other DVDs play fine. This specific film does not. When I insert it and try to open vlc on it VLC opens and then spends ages doing nothing, meanwhile the optical drive makes some very strange noises much louder than it normally does. However when I just look at the bup and ifo files on this DVD by browsing it as a folder in windows explorer the files are all there and browsable (though naturally given the format not openable individually but requiring vlc to play the film by looking at a variety of these files). This means the disc can't be totally ruined, windows explorer can see the files on it. The disc isn't visibly scratched though was from a 2nd hand DVD shop (they're really common in the UK).

I know the problem isn't DVD regions, the disc is the same region as all my others (region2), but VLC doesn't care about this anyway (according to the settings of the drive (region tab when drive properties viewed in windows explorer) in the drive is set to region1 since I bought it, I never bothered to set it to region 2 as it has always played region 2 discs fine due to use of vlc).

I can't think the problem is due to an unusual format for the film, it's a well known blockbuster from universal pictures (I've played DVDs of movies from them before without issue). And I'm pretty sure that for classical DVD players (as in those that are designed to connect to televisions) to understand movie DVDs they are all in a standard format anyway. I would guess that because DVD plays of the sort that attaches to televisions must be able to recognize DVDs that all DVD discs must follow a very standardized format for how their files work.

I can't think it's the fact that the disc is double layered, most DVD films are and they've played without issue on this optical drive with VLC acting as the player software.

It can't be some sort of weird menu as I've tried playing the disc using the no menus option in VLC, still no success.

It can't be anything about VLC not identifying the disc correctly, I've failed if I try playing by (in windows) right clicking the drive in "my computer" the "play with vlc" but I've also failed when I've opened vlc, and specified the DVD to play by using "File"-->"Open Disc".

So what could it be, a corrupt disc? Some very weird incidence of vlc being unable to play SPECIFIC DVDs? Something wrong with the drive (yet it plays other DVDs fine)?

Edited by rp88, 11 October 2016 - 03:23 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,081 posts
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:40 PM

This sounds like a faulty or damaged disc. The only other test would be to try it in a different DVD drive, say one attached to a TV. If it doesn't play in that it would confirm a faulty disc. I have burnt video DVDs that didn't work but that was due to software problems, not the discs themselves.

I have only ever once had a problem with a commercial disc which wasn't visibly damaged, an audio CD, where all the volume levels were written down about 30dB. With a 300W amp and the volume turned almost all the way up you could just hear it. Since it was pre-ordered and brand new I had it changed twice and then the whole production run was withdrawn !

Check it in a completely different player.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 cafejose

• Members
  • 922 posts
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:14 PM

Sometimes or some discs become bad.  Same occurred with me.  Commercial "film" discs of movies which once played, one day were failing to play both in the DVD player as well as when tried on a desktop computer.  Other movie discs did play but several of certain ones failed.

Earlier, similar problem with CD's containing data written to them for computer storage purposes.  Successful when first written and used for some time, but then one day they were unreadable.  The general blame decided was they were cheap discs.  Some data written to better (and higher priced ) discs continued to be reliable (but after some few years, they really need to be rechecked).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users