Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to reinstall Win 8.1 with no disc or backup.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jay_is_bored

Jay_is_bored

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:35 PM

Hi,

I want to completely reinstall windows 8.1. I have no disc, and there is no backup to revert to. I've read that I can get the product key from the computer.

I've read many "how to's" on doing this, and they all bring me to screens that don't show up on the laptop. It seems like the tutorials are specific to win 8.0.

Help plz.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:37 PM

You have a USB-based Windows 8 install?  An ISO?  Factory restore partition?

Edited by RolandJS, 11 October 2016 - 01:38 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,580 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:36 PM

As RolandJS posted if the factory recovery partition is intact and the computer was pre-installed with 8 you can do a factory reset by tapping a key at boot. What is the make and model of the computer?

OEM computers with Windows 8 or 8.1 pre-installed has the key embedded in firmware. After a clean install the computer will self activate once online. You can create a DVD or USB flash drive installer user the Media Creation Tool. There is a version of Windows 8 called Windows 8 with Bing. If you have this version the Media Creation Tool will not work.

If you can boot to Windows then use the FirmwareTablesView Utility to find your key. Look under the MSDM table. You can verify that it is the same using Produkey

Write the key down just in case the install asks for it.

Edit: Once you boot the install media do a clean install per this guide.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-clean-install-part-1.htm

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 October 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#4 Jay_is_bored

Jay_is_bored
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:21 PM

Ok, Thanks. I'll try that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users