Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem or Router is not working properly - not sure which

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jay_is_bored

Jay_is_bored

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:25 PM

First, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum. Anyway...

I pay $10 a month to rent the cable company's modem with built in router. And it happened that a guy on craigslist who owns a computer repair shop gave me crates and crates of all sorts of free computer stuff. Many routers, modems, fans, power supplies, graphics cards, wires, etc.

So I unhooked my modem/router from the cable company, and hooked up another random modem through ethernet to my computer, to make sure it worked. It worked fine. Then I added in a router. The coax from the wall was connected to the modem, and the modem was connected to router through ethernet. And I tried connecting the router to my computer through ethernet, and through a wireless connection. Neither worked. My computer recognized the router, but would not connect to the internet.

Is this probably operator error? It's been quite a while since I did this stuff.

Help would be appreciated. Thank you =)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:24 PM

I would first list the mfgrs and model numbers, visit each web site to get the address and default password for each.  That will allow you to get into each setup and allow WIFI and cable internet links.

#3 Jay_is_bored

Jay_is_bored
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:56 PM

The modem I'm trying to use is an Arris SURFboard, model SB6121. Hooking it directly to my computer with an ethernet cable allows me to connect to the internet.

The router I'm trying to use is D-Link, model DIR-655. When I connect the router, my computer recognizes it, and I'm able to connect to it. But it says there is no internet access. I did the diagnostic thing, and it says "Wireless network connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration."

I checked the connections to make sure I had it connected properly. The power cords are connected. The coax from the wall is connected to the modem. The modem is connected to the router with an ethernet cable, and is plugged into the "internet" port. Another ethernet cable is connected from one of the other four ethernet ports to my computer.

Also, it seems that even though I have the router connected with an ethernet cable, the computer is still just using the wifi instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users