Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2nd hand puter won't start missing hardware?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fattice

fattice

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:33 AM

Compaq Presario AMD chip Xubuntu Nvidia Geforce with Cuda, el cheapo Best Buy box, handed down to me.

I was working on this puter before summer and now I can't remember what I was doing :bubbles:

I left the side cover off so obviously I was doing something. I know it works cause I went on the net with it and was about to migrate some things from my house puter to it. Then I got distracted with summer :horse:

It has power cause the little green led on the power supply lights, but it won't turn on now

I threw a few HDs out earlier this summer, but it looks like it has one. The box looks awfully empty to me as if something is missing.

Any idea?

Attached File  compaqpresario.jpg   478.19KB   2 downloads

Edited by fattice, 11 October 2016 - 11:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Teddy1

Teddy1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:55 AM

Attached File  Capture.PNG   752.2KB   1 downloadsThere should be a hard drive cage in the lower left.

And a case fan is missing.

Edited by Teddy1, 11 October 2016 - 12:01 PM.

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:59 AM

Hey I just worked on a computer just like that. As Teddy1 posted, it is missing a hard drive. Hence the lack of boot.

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:16 PM

I concur.

Got one of these myself, running an Athlon 64 X2 dual-core, 4 GB RAM, etc. An SR1619UK. I'm just trying to figure that one out, actually. It could be the hard drive.....but they sit pretty high in the old Presarios.....unless you've got dual DVDs, like me.

Dual optical drive cage.....media card reader below that (which never has worked); yup, your hard drive's missing. Not only that, the cage has disappeared, too. Some of your RAM slots seem to be missing, as well! Begs the question, this; what on earth were ya doing to the old girl?

What you can see plugged into the IDE interface down the lower left of the board is the ATX power connector; the 'primary' end of the IDE/PATA cable which is connected to your hard drive & optical drive/s should be plugged in next to it. Mmm..... They don't tend to work too well without something to boot from.....  :rolleyes:  :P

Threw me out a bit, 'cos you've posted a 'mirror' image..... Not only that, but your board looks to be mounted upside down as well. Veeery odd. I don't think I ever seen a PC where the card bay slots are mounted halfway up the case before.....

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 11 October 2016 - 07:32 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 Teddy1

Teddy1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:48 PM

I concur.

Got one of these myself, running an Athlon 64 X2 dual-core, 4 GB RAM, etc. An SR1619UK. I'm just trying to figure that one out, actually. It could be the hard drive.....but they sit pretty high in the old Presarios.....unless you've got dual DVDs, like me.

Dual optical drive cage.....media card reader below that (which never has worked); yup, your hard drive's missing. Not only that, the cage has disappeared, too. Some of your RAM slots seem to be missing, as well! Begs the question, this; what on earth were ya doing to the old girl?

What you can see plugged into the IDE interface down the lower left of the board is the ATX power connector; the 'primary' end of the IDE/PATA cable which is connected to your hard drive & optical drive/s should be plugged in next to it. Mmm..... They don't tend to work too well without something to boot from.....  :rolleyes:  :P

Threw me out a bit, 'cos you've posted a 'mirror' image..... Not only that, but your board looks to be mounted upside down as well. Veeery odd. I don't think I ever seen a PC where the card bay slots are mounted halfway up the case before.....

Not a mirror image, mother boards on this model are mounted in this fashion.

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:20 AM

News to me... Still, even after nearly 40 years with these things I'm constantly being amazed! Just seems an odd way of mounting, that was all; the card bay slots would be halfway up the back of the case. Not seen that before.

Edited by hamluis, 12 October 2016 - 12:27 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:29 AM

What's with those screws holding in the motherboard? Looks like the wrong type from here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users