Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports not working, no internet connection detected, no sound

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scrapwave

scrapwave

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:41 AM

I downloaded Avastclear.exe to run to remove Avast free antivirus from my computer. It told me I needed to reboot in safe mode so I did that. Upon reboot my usb ports are no longer recognized so my mouse/keyboard wouldn't work when I got to the windows log-in screen (where you select which user to log on as). I had to find an old round plug in mouse and keyboard to let me log on. Avastclear supposedly ran and removed Avast, however I still can't use any USB ports, have no internet connection (even though modem is directly plugged in to the computer) also have no sound. Tried to do a system restore and it shows no restore points (even though there have been restore points before). Windows 7 OS. Could this be a virus doing all this and how do I determine what it is and remove it since I don't have internet access on that computer? The CD/DVD drive does appear to be functioning.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:21 AM

avast has been know to wipe Restore Points especially if you have an older version that used a VM called NG.

Go to Device Manager and click the top most entry in the tree, your pc, and select Action > Scan for Hardware changes. See if Windows reinstalls your USB drivers.

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager, especially next to your network adapters? 

If you have not yellow exclamation marks and scanning for hardware does not resolve the problem and you have access to another computer burn an iso of Fatdog64 to a cd and boot to the desktop. Your Windows partition will most likely be sda2 in the lower left of the desktop. Click once on it to mount the partition. A File Manager will open. If you do not see your Windows files then close the window and click another sdaX icon.

Download this file Fatdog64-702.iso

When you have found your Windows files browse to Windows/system32/config/Regback.  You only need to click once on a folder to open it. Do not double click. Are the files in Regback dated just before running Avastclear? If yes then browse to Windows/system32/config and rename the 5 registry hives. Right click and select Rename.

SOFTWARE  to SOFTWARE.bak

SAM  to SAM.bak

SYSTEM   to SYSTEM.bak

DEFAULT to DEFAULT.bak

SECURITY  to SECURITY.bak

Once the hives have been renamed click on the sdaX partition with Windows again to bring up two windows. Drag the Windows until they are side by side. On the windows you just opened browse to the Regback folder. Highlight the 5 hives in Regback by pressing Ctrl + left clicking. Once highlighted drag from the Regback folder window to the config folder window. A small dialog box will open. Select copy and click the quite button. Once the files are copied exit out of Fatdog and reboot the computer.

If the files in Regback are dated after using avastclear or if copying the files does not resolve the problem then you probably will need to do a repair install with a Windows 7 install disk.

#3 scrapwave

scrapwave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:13 PM

I have yellow exclamation marks on all my network adapters and a lot of other stuff when I run the scan for hardware changes. It didn't fix any of the issues. I downloaded the Fatdog64-702.iso file from your link about (where it says download this file) but the ISO file doesn't open or boot on the computer. I guess I'm not sure how to make it open or run from the CD? The file is on the CD---but when I click on it to open it wants to open Roxio to burn it to CD---which I have already done obviously. How do I download the ISO file so that it will open on the affected desktop? Thanks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:22 AM

If you have a Windows 7 or a later computer right click the iso file and select Burn to Disk Image. You should have a number of files on the disk, not just one with an iso extension.

If you have a lot of yellow exclamation marks do the following. Right click each device and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Write down the first line for each device and post them.

devicedriverdetails_thumb.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 October 2016 - 09:23 AM.

#5 scrapwave

scrapwave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:34 PM

If you have a Windows 7 or a later computer right click the iso file and select Burn to Disk Image. You should have a number of files on the disk, not just one with an iso extension.

If you have a lot of yellow exclamation marks do the following. Right click each device and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Write down the first line for each device and post them.

devicedriverdetails_thumb.png

will do when I get home this evening. TY :)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:46 PM

We may have a hard time with some, especially the USB drivers as those are native to Windows 7. We may need to use Fatdog to replace the registry hives. Hopefully the ones in Regback are dated before the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users