Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Can't boot from USB flash drive :(

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:20 AM

I installed a linux OS on a USB flash drive but on my main laptop (a toshiba L670) which I want to access it from it gives the error: "[USB 2.0 USB Flash Drive] is failed"

It was working fine on my 2nd laptop (Asus eee pc 1005p) , so I just used it from there until recently that also stopped working, goes straight to windows even though USB is the top of the boot priority list (the little light on the flash drive also blinks when booting).

Finally on my desktop (dell optiplex 755) it works fine but I need it to work on a laptop.

Anyone know what I could try to do to get it to work on either laptop?

Edited by noz03, 11 October 2016 - 10:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,171 posts
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:59 AM

What linux distro are you trying to boot? I'm not sure how you created the bootable USB flash drive but see if using an iso of your linux distro with Rufus works. If Rufus fails then try Unetbootin with your distro. I would also try a different flash drive. On a Toshiba tap F12 at boot to select your boot device. Have you tried a different USB port on the computer.

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 October 2016 - 10:00 AM.

#3 Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,010 posts
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:29 AM

Different hardware requires different drivers. Just as you can't take a HDD from one computer with an installed operating system on it, and expect it to work in a different computer, you can't do the same with USB drives either.

If you were booting a live USB, which is what John is talking about, it would check the hardware and use the necessary drivers. But an installed system expects to see the hardware it was installed to, regardless of the type of drive it is installed on.

Edited by Al1000, 11 October 2016 - 10:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users