Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice On Possibly Upgrading A 5yr Old PC?.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:15 AM

I built my present Win7 build approximately 5 years ago. It has worked exceptionally well, in fact it has never crashed once in that time unlike my old XP machine which crashed on a regular basis. I am not really a gamer per se and when I built this machine I only played the Football Manager game. A year ago I started playing Elite Dangerous and this PC plays it very well at present, ( I am on Horizons the Engineers update at present). Although my PC plays E:D Horizons very well I can see that with the future upgrades etc that Frontier Developments have planned at some stage I will need either a new modern PC or my preference would be to upgrade this one. I have used both Windows 8 & 10 when I installed them on my daughters laptop but being a 66yr old pensioner I am not a fan of the touch screen tech. I am also very security/privacy minded and do not believe that MSN have my best interests at heart in their latest system. I installed Linux Mint Rosa on my old XP rig and when Linux is more adept at certain programs etc I will probably migrate to it permanently but in the meantime I intend to stay with Windows 7.

As I would like to keep as much as possible of my present builds hardware, would I be able to just upgrade to a new motherboard and graphics card and a bigger SSD in order to "modernise" my PC, and if so could someone recommend some options?.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:56 AM

Just my take!  Get an SSD for the OS use your existing drive for added storage, double up the ram and get a better video card along with a more powerful PSU.  If you decide to go further down the road all of the needed items can be used in a future upgrade, only the ram compatibility will have to be looked at.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:19 PM

Just my take!  Get an SSD for the OS use your existing drive for added storage, double up the ram and get a better video card along with a more powerful PSU.  If you decide to go further down the road all of the needed items can be used in a future upgrade, only the ram compatibility will have to be looked at.

Thanks for the reply, I changed my build specs in my settings menu but it hasn't updated on the reply box. I installed a Samsung SSD a while back and I have doubled the RAM to 8GB a long time ago as well. The PSU is a Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E and if I remember correctly it was more than adequate at 430W. Any recommendations on a compatible video card and would my motherboard be okay?.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:22 PM

Awhile back, for my desktop, I converted from usb keyboard and mouse to PS/2 keyboard and mouse -- the response was better and faster!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users