Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with PC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 aarocha

aarocha

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:21 AM

I'm trying to build a new PC and the only thing is doing is as shown in the video below. I don't have anything connected in it, only the CPU, CPU Fan and PSU. I have tried 3 different PSU in three different houses, two different MB (new both of them). 

It is driving me crazy!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:16 AM

#1: How are you applying the thermal grease when mounting the CPU?

#2: Add one stick of memory in the #1 slot and try again. Also, IF you have integrated video, you might want to connect a keyboard and monitor, it may generate an error message that will help.

[EDIT]:  If you do not have integrated video, take your video card and insert it and then connect it to the monitor. It is not necessary to install the video drivers, a simple connection is all you need so you can see what is going on.

#3: Also...make sure you are connecting the CPU heatsink fan cable to the correct socket; plugging it into the wrong socket will produce the same results you are experiencing.

Edited by ranchhand_, 11 October 2016 - 12:49 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 aarocha

aarocha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:05 PM

Hi ranchhand,

The problem is that it doesn't even go to the BIOS check. It entered that loop as soon as it is turn on. I tried with the memory and video card. As a matter of fact, when I assembled the whole PC is when I saw the problem and I started taking away components thinking it could be one of them. Then switch the PSU, etc.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,712 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:00 PM

Please answer #1 in detail;

Please answer #3;

When you do your bench build, be sure that nothing is shorting out on the bottom of the mainboard. Put it on a piece of cardboard or other non-conductive substance.

Reset your BIOS back to factory default and try to boot again. Important.

Go here and review the procedure; follow the directions for a bench build.

Post back with results.

Thanks..

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 aarocha

aarocha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:37 AM

Hi ranchhand,

I have the MB over a piece of cardboard to avoid shorting any component. I have some experience building systems like this one although I haven't done it in about 4 years.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,712 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:18 AM

Again.....please answer my question #1 in detail. Are you applying thermal grease when you install the CPU, and if so, HOW are you doing it? This is critical to your system functioning.

Please answer my question #2; the fan being connected to the wrong socket will also produce the problem you are experiencing.

Did you try to follow the procedure in the link that I provided?

#7 aarocha

aarocha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:54 AM

ranchhand,

#1. Yes, I'm using thermal grease (Arctic Silver). I applied to the top of the CPU and then attached the CPU fan.

#2. The fan is CPU fan connected on the poles with the legend: CPUFAN

I haven't follow your procedure. I'll probably will read it today and follow your instructions.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,712 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:54 PM

Ok.  Also, be sure to reset the BIOS back to factory default. I have seen several times when a unit would not boot until the BIOS was re-set. Also, make very sure that when you applied the thermal grease you did not apply too much; if too much is applied it can run down the side of the chip and start shorting out the connections on the wafer. Some people only apply one dab on the CPU center only and allow it to spread normally while the computer is running.

Finally, make absolutely certain that the heatsink is mounted evenly on the CPU. If it is offset even slightly it will produce the problem that you are experiencing. Sometimes it actually is not level and it can be deceiving unless examined very closely.

If, after all this testing, you still have the same problem, it has to be the mainboard. If the CPU were faulty, all the fans would spin up, you would get the system beep, the mainboard power lamp would light (if there is one), but the monitor would remain dark and the entire system would be unresponsive. If you have tested the power supply and memory, there is nothing left but the mainboard as crazy as it sounds.

#9 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:08 AM

absolutely certain that the heatsink is mounted evenly on the CPU. If it is offset even slightly it will produce the problem that you are experiencing.

One of the most overlooked things that can cause issues I completely agree.

Edited by Zone_86, 15 October 2016 - 02:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users