Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Case Fan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ucwheels

Ucwheels

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:09 PM

Hi,.

After much procrastination, I think it's time I replace my case fan. It's making all kinds of guttural noises. 

My basic computer specs: HP Pavilion, Intel Core Quad CPU at 2.67 GHz with 4GB of physical memory and the 64-bit OS. It's about eight years old.

I use a wheelchair, but I have a friend who can do the physical job of replacing it. My main question is how do I know what fan to get in terms of size and connectors? Hopefully I don't need to open the case and look beforehand. 

Any tips would be great!  

Edited by Ucwheels, 10 October 2016 - 06:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:31 PM

Curious I have not seen a case fan on a stock HP, was or added later or by chance is it the processor fan?

Edited by OldPhil, 10 October 2016 - 06:32 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Ucwheels

Ucwheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:50 PM

Doppleganger,

Yeah, that was just an assumption on my part; I haven't modified the unit in any way. Is a processor fan fairly straightforward to replace? Thanks! 

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:41 AM

There are two fans, one in the power supply and one on the processor to cool it, being eight years old it could be either but most likely the processor fan.  They are fairly easy to replace some clip in place others attach with screws, have your friend look inside to determine the correct size.  It is very important that the unit be unplugged and that your helper also touches the metal chassis before poking around inside.  Most fans are obtainable at local computer shops, it may pay for him to remove it and take it with him.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Ucwheels

Ucwheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:27 PM

Appreciate it. I think I am going to enlist some more expert help on my end.

There are two fans, one in the power supply and one on the processor to cool it, being eight years old it could be either but most likely the processor fan.  They are fairly easy to replace some clip in place others attach with screws, have your friend look inside to determine the correct size.  It is very important that the unit be unplugged and that your helper also touches the metal chassis before poking around inside.  Most fans are obtainable at local computer shops, it may pay for him to remove it and take it with him.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users