Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bought a new Motherboard/Ram/CPU and can't get it to work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dave3230

Dave3230

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:18 PM

Bought a new mobo w/cpu and ram and can't get it to work.

Swapped out my mobo with new cpu and ram.
Startup, It wouldn't post. Fans ran, led light on, optical drive working but no post or video.
Moved my ram around, No beeps.. With all sticks removed I was getting 1 long beep followed by 2 short.  Then I had 1 stick in the B1 slot, Finally got it to post
Got it to the bios but could not get the OS to boot up.
Tried moving my hard drive sata ports, nothing.
kept getting a samsung safe erase hard drive window wanting to erase my hard drive.  Finally clicked ok, and tried to erase my ssd drive, got an error window saying my hard drive was frozen and to unplug replug it's sata cable, did it with no success.
Tried to reload an earlier version of windows with no success.
Also removed my video card and used the onboard video

After 5 hours of frustration I gave up, removed the new Mobo/Ram/Cpu.  Put in my old stuff and all is as it was.

Bad Motherboard?
Bad Ram?
User error?

Thanks for your help,
Dave

New =
Z170A ASUS Motherboard LGA1151
i7-6700K CPU LGA1151
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C 16 DDR4 Ram

Old =
Windows 10
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heat pipes
Corsair HX850 PS
Samsung SSD 850EVO 500G (MZ - 75E500B/AM)
Samsung SSD 840EVO 250G (MZ - 7TE250BW)
MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 100ME
Thermaltake Chaser Series Chaser MK-I (VN300M1W2N) Black SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case ATX PS2 Power Supply

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:26 PM

If you are trying to use the old hard drive...with what is essentially, a new system...you should expect problems.  See HERE.

Moved to Win 10 Support.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:41 AM

A Windows operating system it tied to the motherboard.  If you change the motherboard or CPU Windows will recognize this and may not even boot.  But there is a way around this if this is a retail copy of Windows, that is to use the Sysprep to generalize the hdd.  This will erase all of the identifiers Windows looks for, you will then be able to install the hdd in the new computer.

If you run sysprep on the HHD/SSD with Windows 7 or 8.1 and now 10 before using it with another motherboard you should be be able to boot from it without any complications. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the HDD/SSD, this generalizes the drive.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

cmd will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then
use the command: sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown.

Don't power the drive back on until it's in the other computer.

Note: You'll want to install the new motherboard chipset drivers for the new motherboard after moving the drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Dave3230

Dave3230
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:32 PM

A Windows operating system it tied to the motherboard.  If you change the motherboard or CPU Windows will recognize this and may not even boot.  But there is a way around this if this is a retail copy of Windows, that is to use the Sysprep to generalize the hdd.  This will erase all of the identifiers Windows looks for, you will then be able to install the hdd in the new computer.

If you run sysprep on the HHD/SSD with Windows 7 or 8.1 and now 10 before using it with another motherboard you should be be able to boot from it without any complications. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the HDD/SSD, this generalizes the drive.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

cmd will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then
use the command: sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown.

Don't power the drive back on until it's in the other computer.

Note: You'll want to install the new motherboard chipset drivers for the new motherboard after moving the drive.

Thanks for your reply.

I will try that.

Ty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users