Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Religion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
244 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:43 PM

What do you believe? What is your religion?

First off what do you think of other religions? Do you respect them?

Just wanted to have a peaceful thred about differences in religions.

Compareing and contrasting the differences in religions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:04 PM

As the majority of people here know, i have no religion. I (and many others) consider myself an atheist. I don't believe because i see no reason to.

As for my view on other religions, i respect all of them. As for the PEOPLE that follow those religions, i respect those that GIVE respect. I immediately dislike anyone that has a superiority complex involving their personal religion. If they look down on others, criticise other's lives, or shove their religion down the throats of people that don't WANT to hear about it. I have no respect what-so-ever for people that try to rule other's lives by their own personal standards.

If people approach discussions with intelligence and open-mindedness, i try to return in kind. However, if people post about how everyone else is incorrect and are living their lives incorrectly, i go on the defensive.... and offensive....

#3 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:12 AM

I immediately dislike anyone that has a superiority complex involving their personal religion. If they look down on others, criticise other's lives, or shove their religion down the throats of people that don't WANT to hear about it. I have no respect what-so-ever for people that try to rule other's lives by their own personal standards.

If people approach discussions with intelligence and open-mindedness, i try to return in kind. However, if people post about how everyone else is incorrect and are living their lives incorrectly, i go on the defensive.... and offensive....

Certain religious viewpoints are simply not compatible with open-mindedness. A closed-minded, fervently religious person helped me discover this. If you're watching someone cross the street and they have no idea that they are about to be hit by a bus, but you can see it as clear as day, wouldn't you try to warn them? Especially if it was someone you care about?

Certain religious people know, for a fact, that they are correct. Their opinion/viewpoint/knowledge is correct, and anything that goes against it must therefore be false. So when they see someone in a situation that they perceive to be even worse than potentially getting hit by a bus(since losing your soul is far worse than losing your life), they take it upon themselves to offer up a warning, especially if it's someone they care about.

There are times in life when a superiority complex comes in quite handy, such as job interviews and dating(at least the first date). Surely even you can see that.

#4 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:35 AM

Single-mindedness can be a fearsome thing, though.

Some deeply religious people have a need to convert others 'for their own good', as per above posting...

But I've yet to meet a deeply non-religious person discover a companion is a religious believer and instantly set about converting them 'for their own good'.

I don't say this to be rude but perhaps along with the deep faith goes a deep ego to think they - and only they - are right?

The religions that have my greatest respect are those that allow others to be 'different' and respect those differences.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 loveablekitty

loveablekitty

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:24 AM

I for one believe in myself. in any religious that teaches goodness to follow sisters and brothers reguardless of color and beliefs. all religioues if the bases is : LOVE, KINDNESS ,GOODNESS AND CHARITY, I RESPECT..I too agree whole heartly with H M well put.! Do I believe in GOD, heaven ,hell the Bible,? YES but with open mind. do I believe in "The church" NO. of any religion.. MY beliefs and how I choose to apply them to my lifes walk is for ME and MY GOD . I will NOT be judged by the church nor dictated by those in it. For me I've taking the greatness of GODS words and TRYED to apply them in my every day walk, to everyONE that has crossed my path, given LOVE, RESPECT, AND HELPING HAND ETC ETC. It has gotting me this far for 50 yrs with MANY GREAT BLESSINGS SO IF there is a HEAVEN and my life WORK grants me in then " well job done " if not the I'll "rest in peace" in the earth that I had the greatest chance to leave MY presences.
Remember, if you haven't got a smile on your face and
laughter in your heart......Then you are just an old sour fart.

#6 seafox14

seafox14

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:55 PM

As many people that read the speakeasy discussions know that I am a christian. I do believe in God and Jesus His son. I also believe that the bible is the word of God given to us through people that God used to write it. As to other religions and even people that are atheistic? While I thinks that they are going down a path that leads to hell, I also freely acknowledge that the choice is their's to make and will not force anyone to convert. After all, the Crusades and the Inquisition were as much an abomination as people sacrificing their children to pagan gods, IMHO. They also have no scriptural basis to support them that I have found from my personal reading of the christian bible. Can I get along with those I don't agree with about religion? I think I have already proven that I can.

HM, I have enjoyed our debates and they have been kept civil on both sides and will remain so. I also wanted to congratulate all who have posted on the speakeasy for keeping the discussions civil and rational even on controvecial subjects (like this one). This is a rare occurrence and I hope it continues that way ( props also to the moderators for sticking to their guns).

Seafox14
5 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Donít be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world

#7 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

I am a Christian. I mean i am a member of the christian faith, not the church.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:21 AM

An unexamined religion is not worth having.
An unlived religion is not worth having.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

I for one believe in myself. in any religious that teaches goodness to follow sisters and brothers reguardless of color and beliefs. all religioues if the bases is : LOVE, KINDNESS ,GOODNESS AND CHARITY, I RESPECT..I too agree whole heartly with H M well put.! Do I believe in GOD, heaven ,hell the Bible,? YES but with open mind. do I believe in "The church" NO. of any religion.. MY beliefs and how I choose to apply them to my lifes walk is for ME and MY GOD . I will NOT be judged by the church nor dictated by those in it. For me I've taking the greatness of GODS words and TRYED to apply them in my every day walk, to everyONE that has crossed my path, given LOVE, RESPECT, AND HELPING HAND ETC ETC. It has gotting me this far for 50 yrs with MANY GREAT BLESSINGS SO IF there is a HEAVEN and my life WORK grants me in then " well job done " if not the I'll "rest in peace" in the earth that I had the greatest chance to leave MY presences.

i agree whole heartedly :thumbsup:

i believe in the christian god, but i am not so quick as to say that i believe in the bible, or the general views of the church. some things i will never be able to believe, and i will never believe that my god would endorse them.

#10 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:07 AM

I get the strong impression that religious belief is simply an expression of human psychological and social needs. Religions answer life's deepest questions, give direction to society as well as individuals' lives, and give meaning for our existence. Religious beliefs give the sense of empowerment when needed (prayer, sacrifices for better crops, ect) yet can also provide relief from one's responsibilities ("do the best you can, leave the rest for g(G)od(s)").

Edited by locally pwned, 24 August 2006 - 11:08 AM.

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#11 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 02:21 PM

Man, I sure know how to kill a thread... :thumbsup: :flowers:
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#12 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:40 AM

I believe that something stronger than now remains of what we do, and with this bland belief I face the future warmly. I am old enough not to need reward, nor to fear punishment for those actions which I understand to be just: moreover: the action should be the reward in itself.

I believe that I am part mothergod and mothergod is part me, does where you came from and where you end up change anything about to being just and compasionnate now.
everyday is a gift

#13 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:30 AM

Hmmm ... while I hope it's been apparent that I do have respect for others and their individual religions, faiths and/or beliefs, I personally follow no religion.

The below poem was read at each of our children's 'Welcome to the World Day' and while just a peom, the words are something I refer to often when the 'going gets tough' in our world. (Hope it's okay that I'm adding it here - not scripture, simply words that make my life easier).

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.

(Max Ehrmann, Desiderata, Copyright 1952)
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#14 Conface

Conface

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:30 PM

My grandparents on my father's (catholic) and mother's (protestant) sides were religious but my parents never stuck with their religion and I have not asked them why they chose to abandon their faith. So naturally I have never been religious and I haven't looked to god or jesus for any of my life questions, I have figured them out myself.

I think that religion is great, it gives someone something to believe in, follow and lead their lives with. All of life's big questions are answered for a religious person, they don't have to worry or think about what will happen to them after death, or any of thoes big questions that every human being has. They can go about their lives with the knowledge that god is watching over them, protecting them and that when they do die they are going to go to heaven and have a jolly old time.

I have answered my major questions with my own, and other people's reason and logic, I guess you could say that I have formed my own religion, but it is my own and what I wish to believe. Although I do not know what is going to happen to me after I die, I know that im not going to some place where I am going to get treated horribly and poked by burning hot iron stakes (read:hell). I think that when I die its just an end of my life, and a beginning of something new. I don't have a soul, I have a conscious.

I have no problem with anyone religious or any religion that anyone may have (of course excluding cults and such that lable themselves as "religions"). If someone thinks that they are superior than me based upon their beliefs then I have a problem with them, and won't associate myself with them and will show back to them what they show to me.

#15 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2006 - 01:44 PM

I was raised and brought up a Christian (methodist more specifically). I've been oped minded since I was 15, looking at what I see and figuring things out on my own. I look upon life and the future in different perspectives. I've look at what is provided and conclude to what I think really exists. I believe there is a God, however I don't believe in the Bible. In school science has been one of m strongest classes.

I still think science is right about some things. I do believe in evolution, not the whole theory just some of it. I don't believe we were created from bacteria (over time; or came from apes). I do believe that originally God created man and it was very pre-modern man. And we have evolved since. I do not believe in the Big Bang theory nor that world was created 3,000 years ago (or whatever the Bible really calls for)

Even when I feel guilty about something or just feel bad about something, I try to rationalize away from religion, however I still find myself talking to Him.

I guess you always fall back to what you really believe in.

You can probably say I'm a semi-Christian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users