Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shlwapi.dll occasionally makes Explorer.exe crash/hog 50 % of CPU

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MyPancreas

MyPancreas

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:30 PM

I run across this sometimes when I've got too many tabs or folders open and trying to open others.

I've checked Process Explorer and it's Explorer.exe hanging up. Would anyone have an idea to find out what is causing this ? I'm running an XP by the way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:50 AM

Try using this free tool to disable the shell extensions in explorer.exe:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Disable all non-Microsoft extensions, reboot and see if that fixes the problem.

If it does, try re-enabling them a few at a time until you find the one that's to blame.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:31 AM

Try using this free tool to disable the shell extensions in explorer.exe:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Disable all non-Microsoft extensions, reboot and see if that fixes the problem.

If it does, try re-enabling them a few at a time until you find the one that's to blame.

Not very knowledgable on tech here, what are shell extensions ?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:49 AM

They are little things that run attached to the explorer.exe process.

More info here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Explorer

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:39 PM

So I didn't do this yet because it only happened now, three days later. I clicked on the process that was eating up CPU space in Process Explorer and the thread (?) in that specific Shlwapi dll thread was an nview one.

Also, how would I use this to get to Explorer.exe ? I only see "Explorer Band" on the list.

Edited by MyPancreas, 13 October 2016 - 02:45 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:54 PM

Download and run the Shell Extension Viewer program.

De-select (uncheck) the non-Microsoft extensions

Reboot the computer and see if the problem has stopped.

#7 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:30 AM

Download and run the Shell Extension Viewer program.

De-select (uncheck) the non-Microsoft extensions

Reboot the computer and see if the problem has stopped.

You mean, everything, not just in explorer.exe ?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:43 PM

Download the Shell Extension Viewer program

Run the Shell Extension Viewer program - it will open to a screen that lists the shell extensions (don't change anything at this point)

In the Shell Extension Viewer program, click on the column header that says "Company" - this will cause the table to sort by the company name.

Left click on the first item that isn't from Microsoft.

Then hold down "Shift" and left click on the last item before the Microsoft entries start

Then right click on the highlighted entries and select "Disable selected items"

Then, scroll down past the Microsoft entries.

Left click on the first item after the Microsoft entries

Then hold down "Shift" and left click on the last item in the table

Then right click on the highlighted entries and select "Disable selected items"

#9 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:20 AM

I've been trying to sort this out but the problem is this happens infrequently, so I can't be sure what extension it is, because I have to re-enable it for regular daily operations.

All I've been able to find out is the connection to explorer.exe but I can't seem to get the timing right. Is there a way to somehow keep a log running that would record what went wrong ? Because otherwise I don't know how I'd make sure.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:35 AM

No log that I know of.  You can keep an eye on the Application log in Event Viewer - but that's a lot of work.

See what you can find IMMEDIATELy after it happens (in Event Viewer...Application log)
Sometimes the Admin logfile will make it a bit easier - but again, you'll have to grab it IMMEDIATELY after the error - to see what shows up.

I'd suggest disabling all of the extensions - then enable those that you Absolutely MUST HAVE for daily operations.

Do what you can manually, without the assistance of the extensions - yes, it's more difficult, but you'll have to work to figure this out.

Otherwise, my suggestions is to uninstall everything and reinstall it - not a very practical solution for an infrequently occurring problem

#11 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

No log that I know of.  You can keep an eye on the Application log in Event Viewer - but that's a lot of work.

See what you can find IMMEDIATELy after it happens (in Event Viewer...Application log)
Sometimes the Admin logfile will make it a bit easier - but again, you'll have to grab it IMMEDIATELY after the error - to see what shows up.

I'd suggest disabling all of the extensions - then enable those that you Absolutely MUST HAVE for daily operations.

Do what you can manually, without the assistance of the extensions - yes, it's more difficult, but you'll have to work to figure this out.

Otherwise, my suggestions is to uninstall everything and reinstall it - not a very practical solution for an infrequently occurring problem

Now when would that be ? if it's during the CPU hogging that would be doable, but if it's during a Explorer.exe crash that might be difficult since it makes the desktop disappear.

If I do manage to restart the process via Task manager, which sometimes won't help to unstuck it, the new explorer.exe is a lot more unstable and prone to crashing again but wouldn't looking at the log then be more difficult in determining what it did ?

I think this has to do with something with the desktop and it may be connected to my new monitor, but I don't know how to test that theory. Can a monitor being not quite compatible screw Explorer.exe ?

I'll try to see what I can see with the event log in the first possible scenario either way.

Oh and as for what I do daily, this basically includes the internet, video, pdfs and word documents, with the occasional picture file and skype.

I do actually have one thing I found out, namely when this happened recently when I was changing the volume setting and the window got stuck, going to Process Explorer showed me a Browse dll got stuck and disabling that made the problem go away without any side effects for that particular session.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:16 AM

You look as soon as you're able to recover from the crash.

If explorer becomes unstable, then run it for a short period - then reboot.

Remember that this appears to be 2 separate events - so when looking at the logs, look for events that are similar in the 2 events

I don't know about monitors.  My suggestion is to try a different one (and a different cable) to see if that helps.

I don't know what a browse dll is - did it have a particular file name?
What/how did you disable it?

#13 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:25 AM

Last time it was BROWSEUI.dll + 0x25339.

Looking around for this I found some people fixed similar issues using chkdsk, but I don't know how to use that in any other then read only mode.

I also found some people suggesting this problem may be due to an issue with a broken shortcut explorer is trying to find but doesn't.

Another person with a similar issue had an external monitor be the cause of his problem. Is it possible that Explorer.exe sometimes doesn't find the propper shortcut due to the monitor not being 100 % compatible with drivers as they are right now ?

I'd update them but this is an older computer and I kinda need to be able to use the external monitor....and I'm really bad at this sorta thing, plus very paranoid I'll mess something up.

Edited by MyPancreas, 25 December 2016 - 09:46 AM.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:59 AM

How did you disable BROWSEUI.dll?

If you disabled it with NirSoft's ShelExtensionViewer - then please re-enable it (it's a Windows file and is needed for Windows to run properly..

If you disabled other things this way, please be sure to re-enable them.
When using this tool you ONLY want to disable non-Windows/non-Microsoft stuff.  DO NOT disable Windows/Microsoft stuff - as it's needed to run Windows.

You run "chkdsk /r /f" (without the quotes) from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt

It'll say it can't run right now because the disk is in use, and will ask if you want to run it on reboot.  Answer Y (for Yes) and press return - then reboot and it'll run.

There's millions of different opinions on the internet - some are good and some aren't so good.

There's 2 problems with this:

- bad advice

- shotgun troubleshooting.

With bad advice, you can actually damage your system further.  This can be deliberate, or can just be accidental - but it can still cause you further problems.

With shotgun troubleshooting you're just trying everything that everyone else has tried.  As there's no rhyme or reason to this, you can keep trying everything for weeks.  You may stumble upon something that fixes it - but it's more likely that you'll just keep on trying until you give up.  As computers and operating systems get more compicated, then number of things that you can try increases drastically.

How to weed out the bad stuff?  Well, that's not real easy.
Most commonly, you first look to see if what is being suggested can hurt your system.  If you don't know if it will or not - then assume it will.

If you still want to try it, look up other posts by the same individual.  Do they have a good track record - not just recently, but also over time.

Finally, if you're still unsure, to take steps to ensure that you can recover your stuff if the advice goes bad on you.  Things like System Restore, data backup, system imaging, etc.

This is how I learned - and I will admit that I screwed up my systems many times, and probably will screw it up even more as time goes on.
The difference is that I now know how to recover from my screwups and I take the necessary steps to ensure that I can recover if I need to.

As for 6the monitor and cable - first try it on another system (to be sure that it works properly).  If it does, and it still has problems on your system - then the problem is with your system.

I'd still suggest

Let's start with these repair/recovery options.  Try them in order - and wait to see if each one works before moving onto the next one:

NOTE:  Try a clean boot to see if the problem clears up that way:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows
If it does, then different troubleshooting steps are called for.

Here's some repair/recovery/restore options (in this order).   Be sure to backup your stuff if you don't want to take the chance of losing it.:

1 - Startup Repair.  Run it 3 times, rebooting in between tries.

2 - System Restore to a point before this started happening.

3 - DISM/SFC repair (DISM doesn't work with W7, although SFC does)  - doesn't work if you're not able to boot to Windows (let me know and I'll post a way to do it from Startup Repair)

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after typing it:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption. Include the CBS log (located at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) if you'd like to have a Windows Update expert check it (I don't check them because I can't read them)

4 - RESET using the "Keep My Files" option (W8 calls this a REFRESH; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

5 - Repair install of the OS (Thanks to FreeBooter!):

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

"How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7"
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista"
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

"Non-destructive reinstall of Windows XP"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-xp.html

6 - RESET using the "Remove Everything" option (W8 calls this a RESET; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

If using W7 or earlier, this can be accomplished by resetting the system by use of the recovery partition/recovery disks/recovery drive.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

7 - Wipe and reinstall from the Recovery Partition (if so equipped)

8 - Wipe and reinstall from Recovery Media - to include deleting all partitions.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

#15 MyPancreas

MyPancreas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:15 PM

I don't have much time atm so just posting these two observations

I disabled a BROWSEUI.dll as specified in Process Explorer only for that one session.

And I don't have a system restore point going that far.

Also two things: I don't have another system to try this on.

And also I'm running XP and most of the things you post are for Windows 7/8.

Edited by MyPancreas, 27 December 2016 - 03:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users