Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crash and weird lock?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 WarBeer

WarBeer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:41 PM

Hello,

So, my audio recording computer did something weird last night. While in the middle of recording, my monitor went into sleep mode...it actually said it on the screen and the mouse/keyboard had no impact...the drive just kept running. So, I ultimately crashed her down. When I rebooted it went straight into the same mode...monitor never even came on. It was late, so I decided to try again tomorrow. (a few minutes ago).

This time she loaded the "windows closed incorrectly last time" window. I restarted in normal mode. It ran as normal...everything seemed to work. So, I shut her down...and it started spinning again...this time the screen just froze. Eventually, I forced it down and when I tried to reboot...it immediately went into the "no monitor and drive spinning" mode???

Help...lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:26 PM

What happened when you tried getting into Safe Mode?  I'm hoping you can break the cycle somehow within Safe Mode.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:45 AM

What is the make and model of this computer, if it is a custom build post the make and model of the motherboard.

What operating system are you running?

Do you have the installation disc for your version of Windows?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 WarBeer

WarBeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:24 PM

I got it up and did a system restore. It booted down this time. I'll run it for a while tonight and see if it's all good!

#5 WarBeer

WarBeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:12 PM

Ok...so, fired it up...left it alone for 10 minutes. Came back...moved the mouse and it went into a blue-screen lock. I've since, fired it up. btw...I have noticed that the wireless mouse I use has been a bit laggy lately...don't know if that's related...figured I'd mention it. Something is seriously going on here...lol

Motherboard info @ command prompt..........Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.....GA-880GA-UD3H

Windows 7 Professional

#6 WarBeer

WarBeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:34 PM

Here's the crash log...

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
  OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode: 1000007e
  BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
  BCP2: FFFFF88004CC05B1
  BCP3: FFFFF88003B710D8
  BCP4: FFFFF88003B70940
  OS Version: 6_1_7600
  Service Pack: 0_0
  Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\101116-14562-01.dmp
  C:\Users\Rain\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-19984-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:19 PM

...wireless mouse I use has been a bit laggy lately...Windows 7 Professional

That's what I'm running, W7pro; have you already tried a usb keyboard and a usb mouse?  Gigabyte mobo, that's a desktop mobo, correct?  If so, consider a PS/2 keyboard and a PS/2 mouse -- normally, such has a faster response time and might free up some usb traffic. I'm hoping to remove the KB & MSE from the equation.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 WarBeer

WarBeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:26 AM

Well, I ran it earlier today and it ran fine....lol. Yes, it's a desktop. No, I've not tried a PS/2 keyboard or mouse yet. I was using Reaper recording software at the time. Something that I've thought about after a comment in another forum, is that I normally create a folder and save before I even start recording. This time I didn't...I just started recording. After looking in my settings, for the default temp destination...I realized that last week I had deleted an empty "TEMP" folder...completely forgetting that I had assigned it as my default. I wonder if things got buggy because of that. I wasn't recording for very long when this crash happened. Maybe my RAM filled up and the computer had no idea what to do as the destination it was assigned didn't exist anymore??

Edited by WarBeer, 12 October 2016 - 02:29 AM.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:42 AM

Maybe the lack of TEMP directory was not the cause of the crash, most recording software would recreate the missing directory, but not all.  As I recall, a few programs would simply go to NUL if it can't find the designated directory or would dump into users [acct] appdata local [or roaming] -- program's default directory.  A few even dump into ProgramData section.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:55 AM

Please answer my questions in post #3.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 WarBeer

WarBeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:19 PM

@dc3  

Motherboard info @ command prompt..........Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.....GA-880GA-UD3H

Windows 7 Professional

I didn't get a disk with this computer....however, I think I do have a copy of Windows 7Pro "somewhere"...lol...but on had at this moment.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:19 AM

Since this is a custom build you copy of Windows 7 is a retail copy.  Because of this you can download a ISO image of Windows 7 Pro which can be used to create a bootable installation disc.  You will need your 25 character alphanumerical product code.  The download site can be found here.

Once you have the installation disc created follow the instructions below and run the Startup Repair.

Repair Installation Instructions

Attention:  In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the optical driver is the first device in the boot order, and the HDD/SSD is the second devcice.

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, do so.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8.  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9.  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window.

10.  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

#13 WarBeer

WarBeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:23 PM

@dc3 ...thanks for the info! Now, my recording computer is an "offline" system. Also, the OS is NOT updated. (deliberately). Will this present a problem and can I create the boot-disk for it with my "online" computer?

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:31 AM

If your online computer is a retail version and is the same version of Windows 7 (Home or Pro. 32-bit 64- bit) you can download the ISO file and create the disc.

#15 WarBeer

WarBeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:53 AM

Well, my online computer is Windows 7 Home and my recording computer is Windows 7 Professional. Since the recording computer came with OEM software loaded...could I just purchase the Windows 7 pro and use it to access the "repair" feature? I did find my boot disk (came with the computer) ....but it only allows me to "restore". (which of course I did...to no avail) Heck, with what's going on...I don't even know that a default restore will work. And I really don't want to go there if I don't have to...lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users