Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Systm Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jimjam

jimjam

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:34 PM

hi.. can anyone help??
there was a clicking noise coming from my pc...then there was a loud knocking...then my system shut down as an error had occurred.
i tried to boot up again with no luck..tried to boot up in safe mode...but no luck...i have brought a new laptop now...however i want to transfer all my files frm broken pc to new one...how do i do this...i'm still learning about computers...
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:48 PM

A rythmic clicking noise (like a clock) is always a mechanical failure in the hard drive. Time to get it replaced. Check to see if it is under warrany.

As for your files If the drive is tapping it is mechanically broken. Chances of recovery are minimal. Backup, backup, backup!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:20 PM

Eyesee is probably correct. Of course, there's always the chance that it was your processor fan that made the noise. The loud knocking might have been the processor cracking. Have you opened the case to see if you could tell if the fans were all working? Does the computer attempt to start but not boot? Does anything come up on the screen? Is there a message onscreen like "Hard Disk not found"?

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:08 AM

just to add my two cents:

if you hear a clicking noise like you described, turn OFF the computer and do not use the hard drive anymore. You may be damaging data recovery efforts by running the hard drive at all at this point.

The way data can be recovered now is by the use of an expensive data recovery service. They will take the disks out of your broken hard drive and install them into a working hard drive. This may cost anywhere from $1000 - $3000 USD.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users