Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Wipe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alex_ks1

alex_ks1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

Hello, my first time here. I am building another computer. when installing Windows XP full version.
the set up shows im missing a file to fully install XP. what I need to know is, how do I wipe a new hard drive,,,,formatted but empty,,,clean and start fresh.
Is there a way to add this HHD to my other computer and wipe it clean, or do I have to set a 50 lb magnet on it for 3 weeks.
new system is 3.4 Intel D.C. Hy.thrd
4 gigs of Ram
250 GB, HHD
DVD drive
DVD burner
2 floppy drives
flash card reader

some where I read or thought I read, a way to do that,slave it, and wipe it out??????

would really like to do this my self,,going to the computer shop wont let me learn anything.
I now have a NEW full version of XP, other 2 computers I built used my first XP Pro, disk and I copied it to do the 2nd,,it worked just fine,,this one says Im missing a lot of files at boot up.
Ant suggestions??????? Thanks for all your time..Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:29 PM

There are several programs that will completely wipe a hard drive clean, even to government standards if you like. There's Darik's Boot N Nuke, which will create either a bootable floppy or CD and you can start the machine with it and then choose the type of wipe you want to do. Then you need to re-format and install the operating system.

#3 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:42 AM

You can also check the manufacturers website (ie. the company who makes that particular hard drive). Most manufacturers do offer a downloadable program from their website that will fully wipe the drive.

I, personally, prefer to use the manufacturers program, since they are the ones who made the drive to begin with...
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:14 AM

To 'wipe' a drive and make the data unrecoverable, you need to overwrite the data. Some of the programs mentioned already in this thread will do that. Another good example is KILLDISK. It will actually write over every piece of your hard drive, so that nothing will survive. This is a good technique to use if you have viruses or other malware installed on your computer.

Please note that you will have to run a little program called fdisk after overwriting your drive. You do this by running a DOS disk, such as a Windows 98 start up disk, when the computer boots to DOS, type "C:" (without the quotes), push ENTER. Then type "fdisk" (without the quotes), push ENTER, then just push ENTER at each selection that you are prompted to make (in other words, just accept all defaults). You can download what you need HERE.

Then reboot with your XP CD in the cd drive and reinstall Windows, being sure to choose "Full Format" instead of quick format when prompted.

Be careful about reinstalling your data as it may contain a virus or other malware.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users