Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD 1TB showing Unallocated.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 rouf_jaz007

rouf_jaz007

• Banned
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:59 AM

I have a 1TB External Hard Disk.
I accidentally selected the "Delete Volume" option in Disk Management,because of which the volume(External HDD) showed Unallocated and it was not showing up in "My COmputers" as well.Then i selected the "New Simple Volume" in the same option,thought it might help and completed the steps(but in one of the options i selected "Do not Format" in the end,because the drive stored some important files),which helped to show up the External HDD in "My computers",but now it was giving error "You need to format the disk ..." on connecting the hard disk to my LAPTOP.

I do not want to format my External HDD as there is almost 700GB of important Data in it and i do not have any other HDD of that space to which i can recover the  files to.

So, i again selected the option "Delete Volume" in Disk Management option of Computer Management.And till then i have been trying all possible methods including Trial versions of different softwares like "Partition Find and Mount" and others,but no result.

I tried running chkdsk but not of much help. Its giving below error.
"The type of the file system is NTFS.
The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt.
Reading second NTFS boot sector instead.
Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted."

Kindly help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Edit: Moved topic from Introductions to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by hamluis, 10 October 2016 - 12:54 PM.
Moved from IH to Backup/Imaging/Disk Management - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:04 PM

Download and install Partition Wizard. Run the Partition Recovery option. Do a Quick Scan and post a screen image of the result. If you do not see any partition listed then do a full scan which will take a long time on a 1 TB drive.

Edit: I am assuming you have not tried Partition Wizard yet.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 October 2016 - 04:05 PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:11 PM

I hope chkdsk did not write anything to that deleted volume.  As the earlier poster indicated, partition wizard may be your best bet.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 rouf_jaz007

rouf_jaz007
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:26 AM

I tried Partiton Wizard,but there was no result.

It was blank.

I  hope the files are  not deleted.

No,chkdsk Failed as it showed the error as i indicated in my first post.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:36 AM

Download Testdisk for Windows.Only download  the 32 bit version. Unzip to a folder on your desktop. Run the program. When selecting the drive it will be listed as Sdxx. For your external probably sdbx. At the Window that shows Advanced select it and then Boot. Does it detect a good Boot sector? Post a screenshot if possible.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

#6 rouf_jaz007

rouf_jaz007
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:47 AM

it is showing no partition available.

#7 rouf_jaz007

rouf_jaz007
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:50 AM

and i Had already downloaded it yesterday,but i don't know is it for 32-bit or 64-bit.I guess it would not   make any difference because my laptop supports 64-Bit Operating sYSTEM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:02 AM

Testdisk for 32bit will run on a 64bit computer and is the one which should be used. Some features are missing in the 64bit version. If you do a Quick Search does it find any partition? If a Quick Search does not find anything do a Deeper Search. If a Deeper Search does not find any partition then you will need to scan the drive with software such as Easeus Data Recovery.

PhotoRec is available in the Testdisk folder but files are recovered in real time to the folder you unzipped Testdisk to and all files have generic names.

#9 rouf_jaz007

rouf_jaz007
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:18 AM

I am trying the Photo Rec,and it is showin now "reading sector".

Will it recover my files.

And it showed file will be stored in C drive which is only 80 Gb and my data on the bad drive is almost 700 Gb,will it still recover all my file.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:26 AM

I am trying the Photo Rec,and it is showin now "reading sector".  Will it recover my files.  And it showed file will be stored in C drive which is only 80 Gb and my data on the bad drive is almost 700 Gb,will it still recover all my file.

It's safer if you can "tell" PhotoRec to save anything/everything it recovers onto a reliable available external media.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:29 AM

I am trying the Photo Rec,and it is showin now "reading sector".

Will it recover my files.

And it showed file will be stored in C drive which is only 80 Gb and my data on the bad drive is almost 700 Gb,will it still recover all my file.

You cannot recover the files if the space on C is less than your external. You either need to pull the files off as they are recovered or get another external drive and unzip the Testdisk folder to the new external so files recovered will copy to the new external drive and not the C drive.

Edit: You can do a scan will Easeus which will let you recover 2GB for free. This will let you know if any files recovered are not corrupted and it would let you recover 2GB of your most important files.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 October 2016 - 11:31 AM.

#12 rouf_jaz007

rouf_jaz007
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:44 AM

but,till now photorec is showing 0 file found.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:33 PM

I think  your files are gone. The only option may be to get a free quote from a data recovery service and they are not cheap. One of the better ones is DriveSavers.

One software that is expensive but people have had good luck with is Diskinternals Partition Recovery. You can download a demo to scan the drive and see if it finds anything. You would need to purchase a license to recover the files. 

I would at least give Easeus Data Recovery a try. It may find something. At least you would be able to recover 2GB.

#14 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:49 PM

Try DiskDrill....

http://www.cleverfiles.com/disk-drill-windows.html

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#15 rouf_jaz007

rouf_jaz007
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:42 AM

can anyone help me by giving any crack of pro version for any data recovery software so that i can recover my data.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users