Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB (auxilliary) keyboard question....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:32 AM

Just hope someone can answer something for me.

I now have to use my laptop with a USB keyboard plugged in because a previous liquid spillage has rendered the pc's built-in keyboard unusable.

I am now looking to sell this pc at a discounted price because of this issue (I already have a buyer in mind) and am planning to wipe my drive by using DBAN, or a similar program, before passing on to any buyer.

After wiping the drive and before selling on, I will be hoping to do a clean install of Win10.

What I am concerned about is this...... Will I be able to reinstall Windows10 from recovery disc using my auxiliary USB keyboard? Presumably I will be prompted to punch in the Windows 10 product key at some point during the install and because the laptop's own keyboard is bust, I will have to use a USB keyboard to do this. Will I be able to do this with a USB keyboard, or will the USB keyboard not be recognized after wiping the drive?

I would be grateful for some input by someone more knowledgeable that myself before I go ahead with the wipe.

Thanks.

Edited by robby501, 10 October 2016 - 08:52 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:26 AM

Hi

I suspect it will depend on the laptop. Does the Keyboard work when You power it up. To put it another way can You use the USB keyboard to access the BIOS settings before the boot process starts? That would be a good indicator. For example I use a Logitech Wireless Keyboard with my Desktop and the Keyboard works at power up during the P.O.S.T. This is despite the Motherboard also having PS2 Keyboard and Mouse Connectors.

A simple question, Have You considered replacing the Keyboard in the Laptop? Most of them are pretty cheap on eBay. I think I paid less than $30 delivered for the Toshiba keyboard I replaced. Some Brands also have Maintenance manuals available on their website and for others a Online video showing how to can be found. In the Case of a Sager I have three small Phillips screws gives access to remove & replace the Keyboard and memory. A three minute job if that long.

Have a Good Day & Good Luck

Roger

P.S. have You considered using a Wipe type program for the Windows partitions free space after doing the system recovery to a new state feature available in many laptops?

Edited by rotor123, 10 October 2016 - 09:27 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:57 AM

Thanks Rotor for taking the time to respond. The content of your post is most useful to me!

Yes, it appears I am able to access BIOS using the USB keyboard. I tested it using F2 whilst booting from the start button. it seems pretty logical that this should be a fairly reliable test that I will be able to use the USB keyboard to do the re-install of Windows10 after the wipe. At least that gives me some confidence to go ahead and do it.

To answer what you said about keyboard replacement. Yes, that is indeed an option I have thought about and doing and it would certainly make sense as it would mean I could likely get the cost back by being able to sell on this laptop at a more appropriate price. However, from what I have been told by 2 people I know who know more about pc's than me, this particular model of Samsung notebook (NP3530 EC) is extremely bothersome to dismantle! As far as I can see, there are no screws to undo that will allow the keyboard to be removed by itself. It seems that dismantling is only possible from underneath, something which I have no intention of trying myself due to not having any expertise in that field.

I will however do a little more research about replacing the keyboard, but am also (reasonably) happy to cut my losses and sell on as it is, so then I will have the balance of the funds to purchase my new device.

As for your final point, I'm not too familiar with 'partitioning' etc, but I will look into it. I am aware that there is a disk-wiping facility available within CCleaner that I guess I could use? Anyway, I will research this a little more before going ahead with the wipe itself.

Much obliged, 

Have a great day yourself, too.

Edited by robby501, 10 October 2016 - 09:59 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:16 PM

Hi

Have You searched to see if the Keyboard is easy to replace? I Have seen some that Have spring loaded latches along the top of the keyboard and they all that really secures the keyboard. I could do a little research if You posted the entire make model.

Thank You for the feedback

Good Luck with whatever You decide.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:58 PM

Hi

Have You searched to see if the Keyboard is easy to replace? I Have seen some that Have spring loaded latches along the top of the keyboard and they all that really secures the keyboard. I could do a little research if You posted the entire make model.

Thank You for the feedback

Good Luck with whatever You decide.

Roger

Thanks Roger,

Been hunting around the web for tutorials and found this for a Samsung. It's not the same model as mine, but is visually very similar. It appears that the keyboard is only removable after removing the HD and motherboard. After this, it seems that a Dremel tool needs to be used to grind down the ends of several plastic rivets in order to release the keyboard itself. I'd hazard a guess that this tutorial will apply to my model as well, as I already said, looks very visually similar.

I'd also hazard a guess that this procedure would be pretty expensive if done by a professional. If I had the tools to hand, I might have had a go myself as the guy who made this tutorial did a pretty good job of making it very clear and in HD as well.

There are no visible spring clips that are holding in the keyboard to my model of notebook, as far as I can tell.

My main concern, as I stated in my previous post, was the ability to enable the HD wipe and reinstall of OS using an auxiliary USB keyboard and it seems I should be able to go ahead with this, based upon the fact that I can access BIOS via the F2 button of the USB keyboard itself. So I guess I'll just 'suck it and see', so to speak!

Many thanks.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:49 AM

Hi

OK, That sounds like Samsung has created a Service nightmare, I would hate to have to do that if I were doing warranty work on it.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users