Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Discussion re Tutorial: Aptik - Move Your Linux to a Different Drive or Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:25 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612761/aptik-move-your-linux-to-a-different-drive-or-computer/

Thanks for the Tutorial, Wiz! :)

Now, how is either supposed to backup both my 40GiB root & 256MiB Swap on SSD & (for now) 300GiB /home partition to the right of Windows Data? That partition will grow as my VM's does & why I placed it to the right. I prefer to keep /home on HDD's due to running VM's, and even on these, will run faster than normal on a HDD. Example of speed, 5.9 is the highest WEI score one can get on a HDD (W7). Well, in a VM, I can get up to a 6.9 score. Plus these runs as fast as greased lightning. :P

Or does Timeshift, as we discussed some time back, only capture root, with the option to make a bootable clone? As I recall, there were more choices with Aptik, just no way to make it bootable. It's kind of hard for Timeshift to be able to backup the entire OS, just what's needed to restore the root partition. 

As for my backup of /home, I just open the Mint Home folder, attach an external. create one called Linux Mint Items, often followed by #1 or #2, because I have other backups, and drag & drop each main folder, which will include sub-folders, into the new one. This allows me to have 2-3 backups of Home at all times, plus I'll perform the procedure before reinstall for everything to be up to date. :)

Yet I do appreciate you taking the time for showing Linux users how to backup. We're no different from any other OS in the respect of drive or other computer failure & it's best to be ready, rather than not. Having to rebuild all of those files can be a lot of work, especially for those of us who likes to be nitpicky & customize values and all, and many times, this is necessary. 

I do not have an SSD (Solid State Drive), but I do have a Toshiba laptop with a 1TB HDD,

If you ever decide on swapping to a SSD, even a value based Samsung 850 EVO (not a 750 EVO), you'll never, ever look back at running OS's on platter drives. Yet the HDD will still be great for /home partitions, and if you have an optical drive, chances are, there's a bay adapter to install the HDD in. Then get a $5 USB cable designed for making the optical drive usable again. If you want to get fancy & it being more stable, can get an enclosure plus cable for $20 (USD). 

Just a thought. :)

Cat

Edited by Al1000, 10 October 2016 - 08:09 AM.
edit title, add link to tutorial, correct typo

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:59 AM

Thanks Cat, and you are welcome.

I will look into this.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard