Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to retain Start menu the way it is through Windows 10 Anniversary Update?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 t4akawolf

t4akawolf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:17 AM

I had the Anniversary update (build 1607) for a few weeks. Five days ago, I had to do a clean install of Windows 10, and the boot media I had was of a pre-1607 build of Windows. I went ahead with the install and holy bazookas the Start menu was SO much better before the update.

I then had to go through downloading updates, though, and I see Build 1607 in the 'waiting for restart' list. What I want to know is, what can I do, where can I find the Start menu files/settings/whatever to save/backup, such that I can go through the update, then "reinstall" the old Start menu. I've been putting off restarting my PC until I've found a solution, but Windows 10 has a way of forcing updates, so, timely help would be much appreciated.

Yes, yes, I've Googled this, and everyone says "You can't revert back to the old Start menu". But Classic Shell can change the way the Start menu looks, so it's obviously possible. Shame it only has...well...the "Classic" Start Menu as an option. On that note, I'm also open to suggestions for other third party software that can do what I want.

Edited by t4akawolf, 10 October 2016 - 06:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:36 AM

There is no third-party software that changes the Anniversary Update style start menu back to the pre-Anniversary-Update look.

Interesting that you prefer the older version, as I far prefer the newer one.  The only thing I do miss is having the user avatar and userid displayed prominently at the upper left corner of the start menu.  I've adjusted to it being above the other controls at the lower left, and in the same size as those controls.

That being said, there's another start menu change coming down the pike soon that will allow you to hide the app list and customize the start menu in a couple other ways.  I'm not precisely sure when that build will be going public.  Windows 10 will be an ongoing work in progress and I hope, eventually, a bit more customization functionality for look and feel will be included.

P.S. Classic Shell does not "change how the start menu looks" in any conventional sense of that phrase.  It substitutes itself entirely for the native start menu with it's own, old-fashioned style.

Edited by britechguy, 10 October 2016 - 09:37 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:36 AM

Hi

FWIW I use Classic Shell and chose the Windows 7 menu Style over the windows 10 style. I like that Classic Shell just works and leave the system stable.

That works for me. I also used it Windows 8 however...

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users