Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Correct motherboard for sli GTX1080 i7-6850k 950 pro ssd

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 stephanie445

stephanie445

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:26 AM

Hi all, this is my first time posting on forums and also my first time trying to build a computer. I have a budget of CAD$3000 and have found a reliable source for pricing in CAD.  (https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/) Although my budget is high i would like to minimise any expendatcure that isn't purely gaming focused no bling when I could spend that money on graphics or motherboard or accessories. My focus of this build is to build a comp that I can upgrade to something that will play 60 fps 4k gaming and perfect VR. Hears what iv come up with.

i7-6850k - (I need 40 PCI express lanes) the plan is to sli in about a year.

GTX1080

Motherboard? - (Asus strix - edition 10) I'm hoping to save money in this area but not decrease the performance of other parts. I could upgrade when I do the sli upgrade.

Ram DDR4

SSD 256 950 pro - I would like to take advantage of the extra pcl lines provided by the 6850k.

Basically, with the top end Asus Rampage V Edition 10 every thing else such as the cooling system, case, power supply etc. comes to CA$3258.  http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/HNKqd6
I'm trying to get the price down and I'm thinking of compromising on the motherboard and possibly SSD. What should I do? This is my first build, I've spent the last 3 days reading about components and about what they all do, so I'm still at complete newb status. smile.gif
Also, other than flashy lights and an extra thunderbolt port and ability to do 4 way gpu which I will never use, what advantage does this sort of top end board have over the much cheaper but still awesome Asus strix 99

Thank you for any help with this build. Damn 4k being so expensive!! Plus monitor, keyboard mouse+ rift but that's separate budget of cource. :)

Edited by stephanie445, 10 October 2016 - 03:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:57 AM

CPU: So far there has not been single GPU video card that can fully utilize even PCI Express x8 gen 2.0 so you realy do not need extra PCI Express lanes. And 6800K is much cheaper.

GPU: GTX 1080 uses old architecture and it makes no sense putting 2 in SLI on next year because single HBM2 card is better choice. Better to save now buying something much cheaper and upgrade next year as there is no solution currently for proper 4K gaming.

Motherboard: I'm not still fan of SLI, as it's much more problematic than single GPU solutions.

RAM: 16GB sticks preferable, you don't need 4 sticks, 2 is enough.

SSD: 950 overheats very easily and 960 Pro replaced it (or will replace it soon).

Thermal paste: You don't really need that.

#3 stephanie445

stephanie445
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:10 AM

i  thought that was what the 6850k was supposed to do, open up 40 pci lanes making it 16 16 and 8 spare for ssd. Also sli 1080 should run 4k otherwise titan has proved itself in benchmarks to run 4 k easily and even  5 k when sli.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:14 AM

i  thought that was what the 6850k was supposed to do, open up 40 pci lanes making it 16 16 and 8 spare for ssd. Also sli 1080 should run 4k otherwise titan has proved itself in benchmarks to run 4 k easily and even  5 k when sli.

Currently even PCI Express 3.0 x4 is enough for any single GPU card so there's no need for PCI Express 3.0 x16 in near future. Even PCI Express 3.0 x8 should be future proof.

SLI is supported on quite few games. That's main reason why single GPU is much better choice.

#5 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:37 PM

If it were me, and in liue of AMD soon to release Zen I would hold off on that much of a commitment in high end hardware. Why? because if Zen is as good as I think it will be it's going to completely change the ballgame, pricing, and expectations of gamers and hardware types. Meaning. If you just had to have a system now I would do either Intel H170 / Z170 with a 6600k, or AMD with an FX 8350 and something like a GTX 1060 or RX 480 (if that). Just enough have a very decent system running. You can get the SSD you want and some of the other stuff you want like your case, power supply, etc, and in the mean time this system can tide you over until Zen arrives. After that point see if you are happy with what you have besides a possible CPU / GPU upgrade. I have the same type of a budget but I am still using and holding onto a 4770k @ 4.7 and no plans to upgrade at all until I see what Zen can do.

Edited by Zone_86, 10 October 2016 - 03:38 PM.

#6 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:41 PM

CPU
Regarding the CPU. I personally would get the "i7-6850k".
If you have the money, get the better processor. (Not to mention its not a big difference in price.)

GPU
If you need the computer built now, go for the 1080, otherwise I agree with Drillingmachine. Wait until the new generation of videocards is announced and get one then.
or you could wait for the new generation of videocards to come out and by the 1080 when the price drops.

I don't see a problem with  a 2 Card SLI Setup. (It's actually quite common with Gamers.)
Just be aware that not all games can take advantage of SLI.

RAM

16 Gigs of RAM should be just fine.
But if you want to future proof, or you are crazy like I am and run multiple games simultaneously, I would get 24 gigs.

Additional Advice

(A.) Power Supply
You may be able to save a little by downgrading your power supply.
Use a power supply calculator to see what size of power supply you will need. Here are a few links.
Regarding brands, I personally have had good success with coolermaster PSUs. (But there are many other good brands to choose from as well.)

1.) http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator
2.) http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

3.) http://powersupplycalculator.net/

(B.) Case Fans

Research which kind of fans you will need for your case and how many.

One that I personally use, and is not too well known is the Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Case Fan.

Another more popular, tried and true fan is the Noctua 140mm Premium Quiet Quality Case Cooling Fan NF-A14 FLX.
(Noctua is known for their high quality products.)

(C.) Surge Protector

Something most builders rarely think of is a good surge protector. 
You don't want your $3000 machine getting fried because of a power surge or lightning storm.

(D.) Shop Around

Some of the prices you have listed, like the motherboard seem a bit high.
Take a look at some other tech sites for better deals. (Or see if anything is on sale.)
From personal experience I noticed that PC Parts picker seems to miss alot of things.

(E.) Tax

Keep in mind that you may need to pay tax on what you purchase, so in reality that CAD$3000 is actually a bit less.

Hope this helps a bit. :)

Edited by King_Yoshi, 10 October 2016 - 03:42 PM.

#7 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:54 PM

Rarely will the X99 rigs keep up with the Z170 rigs in gaming, including SLI configurations; the extra cores in a cpu come with corresponding clock speed decreases which affect gaming performance; it is still better to have 4 cores at 4.5 GHz than 6 or 8 cores at 3.8 GHz in most gaming titles out today.

Many folks still convince themselves they 'need' an X99 and 8 cores, however. It's their money.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

Rarely will the X99 rigs keep up with the Z170 rigs in gaming, including SLI configurations; the extra cores in a cpu come with corresponding clock speed decreases which affect gaming performance; it is still better to have 4 cores at 4.5 GHz than 6 or 8 cores at 3.8 GHz in most gaming titles out today.

Many folks still convince themselves they 'need' an X99 and 8 cores, however. It's their money.

I disagree. Gaming benchmarks do not reflect real world performance as background tasks/programs (Windows or other software) can easily load two cores to maximum and then hexa core is much better. Benchmarks are made with background tasks/programs minimized and "failed" runs are re-run.

To put it another way: with quad core CPU two tasks that both put 100% load on one core are problem. With octa core it's barely noticed.

#9 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:05 PM

Thermal paste: You don't really need that. 

Unless you want your brand new shiny CPU to be a pile of toast, You Absolutely NEED this. Without it the heat transfer will be minimal between the cpu and cooler, causing the CPU to fry. 

SSD: 950 overheats very easily and 960 Pro replaced it (or will replace it soon).

I own a 950 pro. My case is well ventilated and even after hitting for minutes with HEAVY loads i have not noticed any decreasing performance.

GPU: GTX 1080 uses old architecture and it makes no sense putting 2 in SLI on next year because single HBM2 card is better choice. Better to save now buying something much cheaper and upgrade next year as there is no solution currently for proper 4K gaming.

GTX 1080 uses a brand new architecture and putting 2 in SLI makes lots of sense.  

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review/1100-6439863/

SLI is supported on quite few games. That's main reason why single GPU is much better choice.

GPU: GTX 1080 uses old architecture and it makes no sense putting 2 in SLI on next year because single HBM2 card is better choice

These statements are somewhat contradictory. You say wait till the future to get a better graphics card because of poor SLI support, but in the future SLI support will be even better than it is now with DX12 and Vulcan.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:17 PM

I disagree. Gaming benchmarks do not reflect real world performance as background tasks/programs (Windows or other software) can easily load two cores to maximum and then hexa core is much better. Benchmarks are made with background tasks/programs minimized and "failed" runs are re-run.

To put it another way: with quad core CPU two tasks that both put 100% load on one core are problem. With octa core it's barely noticed.

Anyone who thinks they will get better performance with 10 slower cores on games (vs. 4 cores at 4.4 GHz on Z170) is welcome to absorb the ~$1400 higher cpu cost and $400+ cost of quality X99 boards, as it is their money; afterwards, they can perhaps convince themselves the lower cpu utilization made it worth it, while ignoring the slightly lower average framerates.

There are certainly users with processing needs who can benefit from X99, and even a 6950 processor; but, SLI/twin 1080 gaming is likely not one of those needs. (Yes, there are perhaps one or two titles out for which framerates will scale nicely upward with more than 4 cores, and, perhaps this trend will continue... in the future)

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:46 AM

Unless you want your brand new shiny CPU to be a pile of toast, You Absolutely NEED this. Without it the heat transfer will be minimal between the cpu and cooler, causing the CPU to fry.

Hyper 212 comes with paste so no need to buy separately.

I own a 950 pro. My case is well ventilated and even after hitting for minutes with HEAVY loads i have not noticed any decreasing performance.

Every review I have read show different results.

GTX 1080 uses a brand new architecture and putting 2 in SLI makes lots of sense.  
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review/1100-6439863/

Perhaps brand new but still obsolete. Nvidia is years behind AMD:

- Async compute does not give more performance
- DX12/Vulkan does not give more performance

So it's safe to say GTX 1080 was just refresh from very old architecture when released. As it's not even equipped with HBM2 and most AAA games even this year support DX12/Vulkan (next year situation is much better), I wouldn't put money on that.

These statements are somewhat contradictory. You say wait till the future to get a better graphics card because of poor SLI support, but in the future SLI support will be even better than it is now with DX12 and Vulcan.

DX12/Vulkan don't need SLI/Crossfire to make use of multiple graphic cards, even different ones used at same time. There's one big problem though, it requires support from game developers. So SLI support will likely get worse with DX12 and not better.

Also Nvidia's architecture is very bad for DX12/VUlkan anyway so buying two non future proof cards on SLI sounds like money wasting.

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:56 AM

Anyone who thinks they will get better performance with 10 slower cores on games (vs. 4 cores at 4.4 GHz on Z170) is welcome to absorb the ~$1400 higher cpu cost and $400+ cost of quality X99 boards, as it is their money; afterwards, they can perhaps convince themselves the lower cpu utilization made it worth it, while ignoring the slightly lower average framerates.

When I play, I gladly give away 10% from average framerate if that means minimum frame rate is 50% higher. That's my point. Perhaps many cores don't give more max/average frame rate but it gives much smoother experience as background tasks don't really matter. So if game takes advantage of 4 cores, it's good to have at least 6 cores. With 4 cores background tasks almost surely mean minimum frame rates will drop frequently but with 6 cores much less and with 8 cores it's hard to notice anything. This is something benchmarks does not show.

To put this another way: SSD does not give more FPS so for gaming machine, SSD is totally useless. I say it makes also gaming much more comfortable as many games load much faster. Again, better experience that is not shown on benchmarks.

#13 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:32 PM

Drillingmachine please PM me if you want to continue this further.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:44 PM

To put this another way: SSD does not give more FPS so for gaming machine, SSD is totally useless. I say it makes also gaming much more comfortable as many games load much faster. Again, better experience that is not shown on benchmarks.

Agreed...

They are just darn nice to have on boot times, though! (Especially the M.2 nvme variants!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users